Nashville Warbler

lcarrigan_55

Not often, anymore, get a new "yard" bird on our place. And, although not necessarily uncommon for ID, found a Nashville Warbler this AM, working thru cottonwoods. Yard bird #179, only "List" I keep these days.

Overall, Fall migration numbers are down by at least 50%, compared to numbers I would see in 1980s. Unfortunately, Audubon data bears this out, as well. So, I'm using whatever resources I can to locate Fall Warblers. Mentioned this yrs ago on IBLE, & studies confirm, but bears repeating. Have found that BC Chickadees serve as "guide" birds to the migrating songbirds. Believe it's more of a "survival technique". Whenever I hear BC Chickadees loudly calling, I rush to the area & find a group of fall migrants working thru the willows & cottonwoods. Think it's more, "Come this way, eat a few bugs & then get going, as that's our Winter food supply". Whatever the reason, tends to work without fail during the Fall.

Good Birding,

Cliff Weisse

The same seems to be true for Mountain Chickadee. Whenever I hear chickadees and nuthatches I check to see if there are warblers moving through the area with them. Often there are at this time of year.

Cliff

On 9/18/22 09:57AM, lcarrigan_55 wrote:
[...]

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho