spring is coming

Ruth Shea

In an attempt to maintain what mental health remains, I spent the PM wandering around the NE corner of American Falls reservoir attempting to survey swans. Only found 20 trumpeters.  I received a report last week of flocks field feeding on the east side of the reservoir near the mouth of the Portneuf but they seem to have moved out of the Springfield area.  I figure that with the reservoir substantially frozen they have few roosting areas near the NE fields.  They usually begin heading north out of eastern Idaho about this time.

But I did not get stuck anywhere, most road are quite solid, and I was rewarded with 3 Prairie Falcons perched on various telephone poles.  One allowed me to park within 50 feet and when it eventually flew showed its nice dark axillars.  A low flying male Marsh Hawk was the first ray of hope that spring is on the way.  But the highlight was the pair of Sandhill Cranes that flew over me.  The only 2 that I saw.. Food is abundant in the fields that were harvested last fall and are now snow free in much of the area.  Overall birdlife was very sparse but the cranes made my day.

Charles Trost

Hi Ruth,
I agree that swans have been absent in the Springfield area all winter.  I have been seeing two large groups in fields north of Siphon Rd., and another group north of Ballard Rd., West of Philbin Rd.  I think that most of the reservoir is open now, and presume the swans head there at dusk.  I’m glad you found some sanity in these troubled times.
Cheers,
Chuck

Always forward, never straight...

On Mar 1, 2021, at 4:44 PM, Ruth Shea <ruthshea14@...> wrote:

In an attempt to maintain what mental health remains, I spent the PM wandering around the NE corner of American Falls reservoir attempting to survey swans. Only found 20 trumpeters.  I received a report last week of flocks field feeding on the east side of the reservoir near the mouth of the Portneuf but they seem to have moved out of the Springfield area.  I figure that with the reservoir substantially frozen they have few roosting areas near the NE fields.  They usually begin heading north out of eastern Idaho about this time.

But I did not get stuck anywhere, most road are quite solid, and I was rewarded with 3 Prairie Falcons perched on various telephone poles.  One allowed me to park within 50 feet and when it eventually flew showed its nice dark axillars.  A low flying male Marsh Hawk was the first ray of hope that spring is on the way.  But the highlight was the pair of Sandhill Cranes that flew over me.  The only 2 that I saw.. Food is abundant in the fields that were harvested last fall and are now snow free in much of the area.  Overall birdlife was very sparse but the cranes made my day.

Elizabeth Medes

Yay for mental health and cranes.  Beautiful image.

Liz Medes
Emmett

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021, 4:44 PM Ruth Shea <ruthshea14@...> wrote:

Tom & Susan Soniville

Had a flock of 16 Sandhill Cranes fly over our house on the West Bench about 30 minutes ago. Can't miss that call.

Tom Soniville

Sent from my Galaxy

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/1/21 5:42 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] spring is coming

Liz Medes
Emmett

--
Tom Soniville
Boise. North End

akswanson

I saw 20+ when I was at Blacks Creek this morning.  Glorious!

Ann Swanson

Central Bench, Boise

From: IBLE@groups.io <IBLE@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom & Susan Soniville
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 12:50 PM

Had a flock of 16 Sandhill Cranes fly over our house on the West Bench about 30 minutes ago. Can't miss that call.

Tom Soniville

Sent from my Galaxy

Liz Medes

Emmett

--
Tom Soniville
Boise. North End

Jim Lyons

50 Sandhill Cranes over Boise’s North End at 10:55 this morning - glorious!

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 1:49 PM akswanson <akswanson@...> wrote:

Ann Swanson

Central Bench, Boise

Tom Soniville

Sent from my Galaxy

Liz Medes

Emmett

--
Tom Soniville
Boise. North End

--

--
Jim Lyons
jflyons@...
208-340-0533

John Shortis

From Remington St (Garden City), by the fairgrounds, I was looking for migrants in the shrubs & trees (not much), then I first heard, then counted 85 Sandhill Cranes flying over. A truly wonderful sight to behold.

John Shortis

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 10:57:27 AM MST, Jim Lyons <jflyons@...> wrote:

50 Sandhill Cranes over Boise’s North End at 10:55 this morning - glorious!

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 1:49 PM akswanson <akswanson@...> wrote:

Ann Swanson

Central Bench, Boise

Tom Soniville

Sent from my Galaxy

Liz Medes

Emmett

--
Tom Soniville
Boise. North End

--

--
Jim Lyons
jflyons@...
208-340-0533