Ferruginous Hawk

Ken Miracle

He was nice enough to hold up his leg for you and show you his bare lower shin :-)

Yes they come in a huge range of colors within 50 miles of Boise I have seen some so dark they border on black and some so light they are almost white.

I saw that Cliff Weisse in his reply called this one an intermediate morph and why.

On Jan 10, 2021, at 7:12 PM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

ok. thank you for the correction. Every time I go out looking, I see different color phases of red-tails. And they are all very different than the redtails I saw over 25 years in Pennsylvania and Vermont.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 7:09 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Those are the same … not a Ferruginous …. there would be feathering all the way down the legs to the feet.

Red-tailed Hawk

On Jan 10, 2021, at 7:06 PM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

I think I attached the wrong pics to my earlier note about raptors. Here are two pics of the dark, red-phase Ferruginous Hawk I found perched on a utility pole today.
alan

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.

<1-IMG_7149.JPG><1-IMG_7152.JPG>

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association

M Gregory