Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch

M Gregory

I am disappointed with my photos and I clicked off dozens. I think there are some Black Rosy-Finches mixed in the large flock with Gray-crowned. Was 32 and breezy at the time I revisited the site in Elmore County this morning. There were Horned Larks feeding in a plowed field across Beet Dump Road from the finches.
Alan Gregory

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.

Ken Miracle

The only photos I see here are House Sparrows and female Red-winged Blackbirds … is there a missing large flock photo?

On Jan 10, 2021, at 3:42 PM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

I am disappointed with my photos and I clicked off dozens. I think there are some Black Rosy-Finches mixed in the large flock with Gray-crowned. Was 32 and breezy at the time I revisited the site in Elmore County this morning. There were Horned Larks feeding in a plowed field across Beet Dump Road from the finches.
Alan Gregory

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association

<1-IMG_6956.JPG><1-IMG_7032.JPG><1-IMG_6987.JPG><1-IMG_6942.JPG>

Charles Trost

Ken,
I believe you have both Red-winged Blackbirds and House Sparrowsin these shots.
Cheers,
Chuck Trost

Always forward, never straight...

On Jan 10, 2021, at 3:57 PM, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28@...> wrote:

The only photos I see here are House Sparrows and female Red-winged Blackbirds … is there a missing large flock photo?

On Jan 10, 2021, at 3:42 PM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

I am disappointed with my photos and I clicked off dozens. I think there are some Black Rosy-Finches mixed in the large flock with Gray-crowned. Was 32 and breezy at the time I revisited the site in Elmore County this morning. There were Horned Larks feeding in a plowed field across Beet Dump Road from the finches.
Alan Gregory

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association

<1-IMG_6956.JPG><1-IMG_7032.JPG><1-IMG_6987.JPG><1-IMG_6942.JPG>

Not my shots … these are Alan’s. And that is what I saw also.

On Jan 10, 2021, at 5:26 PM, Charles Trost <trostchuck@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is one of the flock photos I posted yesterday. I even held a magnifying lens up to a print of this. darn

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 3:57 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes … I saw those yesterday those are Rosy Finches … I was just curious if you had a flock shot from today.

On Jan 10, 2021, at 7:14 PM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

[...]

<1-IMG_6901.JPG><1-IMG_6902.JPG>

Aidan Lorenz

Hello!

Although I don't have experience with rosy finches, I do have a lot of experience with House Sparrows. It looks to me like most of the birds in the original flock shots from Mr. Gregory are House Sparrows, with a few female Red-winged Blackbirds and one or two Dark-eyed Juncos mixed in. House Sparrows, especially the males, do have a prominent white wing bar that is exposed when they fly, as is shown by this photo. I see those wing bars and the black breast of a House Sparrow on many of the birds in those two photos, in addition to the other field marks of House Sparrows.

I hope this helps with the identification of these birds!

Happy Birding! :-)
--
Aidan Lorenz
Caldwell

Cliff Weisse

FWIW, I cropped this individual out of Alan's original flock photo "1-IMG6901-1.JPG". Not the black bib Aidan mentioned.

Cliff

On 1/11/21 10:10 AM, Aidan Lorenz wrote:
Hello!

Although I don't have experience with rosy finches, I do have a lot of experience with House Sparrows. It looks to me like most of the birds in the original flock shots from Mr. Gregory are House Sparrows, with a few female Red-winged Blackbirds and one or two Dark-eyed Juncos mixed in. House Sparrows, especially the males, do have a prominent white wing bar that is exposed when they fly, as is shown by this photo. I see those wing bars and the black breast of a House Sparrow on many of the birds in those two photos, in addition to the other field marks of House Sparrows.

I hope this helps with the identification of these birds!

Happy Birding! :-)
--
Aidan Lorenz
Caldwell
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

Ken Miracle

A fun mystery … the house sparrow and female red-winged blackbirds would fit with what Alan photographed the next day when he went back out.

On Jan 11, 2021, at 10:38 AM, Cliff Weisse <cliffandlisa@...> wrote:

FWIW, I cropped this individual out of Alan's original flock photo "1-IMG6901-1.JPG". Not the black bib Aidan mentioned.

Cliff

<hosp.jpg>