From: Sarah Harris <idabirder@...>
Date: 12/28/20 11:08 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Boise CBC preliminary species total

Jim, that was our very first CBC as well!
Ken was looking forward to a relaxing weekend that involved watching the Idaho State Bengals play in  the 1981 NCAA Division I-AA football championship game. I convinced him to watch and count birds instead. He has never forgiven me. The day was cold and cloudy and the birds were few and far between, and darn it if the Bengals didn’t win the championship!! Thank goodness for DVR technology! 39 years later and we are still participating in CBCs!

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 8:31 AM Jim Lyons <jflyons@...> wrote:
Kudos to our Boise CBC leaders, and participants!

I mentioned last night the 1981 count, my first. I'm attaching a scan of the page with our count, as published in American Birds - no kids, not on papyrus, but close :)

Seeing how the birds (and birders) have changed is one of the great appeals of our Christmas Bird Count, both from a scientific and more global perspective, but also from a personal and very specific perspective.

Jumping out at me beyond our 67 species were the count-week-but-not-count-day species : Pied-billed Grebe, Wood Duck, Ruddy Duck, and Mourning Dove.

Sarah Harris

[...]

Diann Stone

Jay, thanks for sharing some highlights. I wasn't there to participate, and appreciate knowing what you found.

Thanks to all who were out there looking! Some of my best birding times were CBCs in Anchorage, AK many years and several when I first moved to Boise and needed to learn the local birds.

Participating in a CBC is a great way to learn, practice, and share birding skills and knowledge.

Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020, 9:28 PM Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Howdy folks

Boise's CBC was held today in a mix of very foggy (~1/3 to 1/2 of the circle?) to beautiful sunny weather.  A number of misses but some great finds. Thanks a ton to everyone who participated, and to the many folks to who helped coordinate!

Preliminary totals:
  • participants: ~80
  • species: 104 on count day, plus 6 count week species that had been seen Thurs-Sat but not today
Highlights:
  • Trumpeter Swan (a 1st) - western greenbelt & ponds on N side
  • RB Merganser (only a handful of years) - Barber Park
  • Osprey (~7th time)
  • Greater Yellowlegs (2nd time?)
  • 2 Spotted Sandpipers (only a handful of years)
  • Long-eared Owl (1st time?) - high in foothills
  • 2 Bushtits (2nd time?) - on Joplin rd across from SW corner of storage facility
  • Ovenbird (!!; 2nd time in a row) - private residence, can't be seen from street
    • I don't know the address but knowing the CBC zone it was in, it can't be more than ~2 miles from the bird we hosted last winter ... same bird or serious coincidence??
  • Western Tanager (1st time) - Barber Park
  • Lincoln's Sparrow (~4th time) - canal W of Borah Park
  • good variety of finches - Red Crossbill, Pine Grosbeak, and Evening Grosbeak
  • count week species: Lesser Scaup, Barred Owl, Lesser Black-backed and Herring Gulls, Blue Jay, Harris's Sparrow
Misses (mainly due to fog or access):
  • blackbirds (too foggy to see main roost in gravel pits) - Yellow-headed, Brewer's, and BH Cowbird
  • gulls - esp. Mew, Thayer's (landfill & wastewater treatment facility closed)
  • Ring-necked Pheasant (less & less habitat in our circle)
  • Rough-legged Hawk
  • American Pipit
Please let me know if I missed anything :-) & happy new year!

Jay

rattlesnake4873

Thanks for the memories, Jim. I believe Karen Andreason and I saw the green heron(s).

Dean Jones

--
Dean Jones
"A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words." Thomas Huxley

Jim Lyons

Kudos to our Boise CBC leaders, and participants!

I mentioned last night the 1981 count, my first. I'm attaching a scan of the page with our count, as published in American Birds - no kids, not on papyrus, but close :)

Seeing how the birds (and birders) have changed is one of the great appeals of our Christmas Bird Count, both from a scientific and more global perspective, but also from a personal and very specific perspective.

Jumping out at me beyond our 67 species were the count-week-but-not-count-day species : Pied-billed Grebe, Wood Duck, Ruddy Duck, and Mourning Dove.

Jay Carlisle