Sighting of wing-tagged Red-tailed Hawk at Lake Lowell, Canyon County, Idaho

cheryl huizinga

Hi Birders,

On October 19 At SW end of Lake Lowell Lower Dam in Canyon County, I saw and photographed a Red-tailed Hawk in a tree that had a large red tag on its wing.  After asking a couple of raptor friends, I was told to check with www.pdxraptors.com about the bird.  I sent in the photos of the red tag with  KZ letters on its wing. I got an answer back and here it is. Fun to know about this hawk and hope I see more hawks with a red tag.  If you find one, check out the website and let them know.

Cheryl Huizinga, Caldwell, ID

“Thank you for submitting a sighting and photo of K/Z via www.pdxraptors.com! This red-tailed hawk was first captured at Portland International Airport earlier this year in July. This bird is a hatch year and was the offspring of a pair of resident hawks that nest near the airport. After being fitted with wing-tags and a leg band it was released in Halfway, OR. Your sighting is the first we’ve received since it was released and we’re glad to hear that it is still alive and well.

Once again, thank you for your report. We truly appreciate your participation and with the help of individuals such as you, we are able to determine the most successful release sites. This in turn helps to reduce the number of birds returning to PDX and contributes to a safer airfield for both humans and birds.

We look forward to any future reports of your wing-tagged hawk sightings!”

Regards,

Erick Shore

Aviation Wildlife Technician

Port of Portland

erick.shore@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Denise Hughes

Very cool!

On Nov 3, 2020, at 2:30 PM, cheryl huizinga <bchuizinga@...> wrote:

[...]

<RTHA with wing tag - 2 .jpg>
<RTHA with wing tag - Lake Lowell 10-19-2020.jpg>

Larry Arnold <larnold47@...>

my words precisely   =)

[...]

Jeff Fleischer

Hi Larry,

Should mention that in the past the lady that assists in this PDX operation, who also does a route for us, has used our project data to see where the best fit would be for the release of these hawks that they collect at PDX.  This makes two birds now that have been released at sites in NE OR that have had subsequent sightings, this is a great project not only to study bird movement but to keep our airports safe from bird collisions ! :)

Jeff

On Nov 3, 2020, at 2:20 PM, Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

my words precisely   =)

[...]

Kathleen Lopez

Hi Cheryl,

Very Cool!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lopez
Nampa

Diann Stone

Thanks for sharing your sighting and the great details about the bird.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020, 2:30 PM cheryl huizinga <bchuizinga@...> wrote:

[...]

Sincere Thanks, Jeff   =)

We have a sister who lives just south of PDX, and we've often peeked over there for birds that like those expansive spaces......
For sure we *always* bird Sauvie Island when we're visiting, absolutely love that place  =)

I have a question that might be of interest to others with raptor routes...?
Missy and I are thinking of doing two of our same route per month, and we're curious as to how you would address this in your monthly summaries?
Or would this mess up your data summary effort?
Raptor Routes are The Perfect Fix for us during these Covid-19 days, but you already knew this, eh?   ;-)

Gracias Amigo !!

[...]

Melody and Michael Asher and McBride

So wonderful that portland airport is doing this and so cool & exciting that the bird made it here for you to take a photo & report it (will be watching for those tags!)...
Melody Asher (Twin Falls)

[...]

Peter Olsoy

Katie and I refound K/Z the tagged PDX Red-tailed Hawk in Marsing on Bruneau Hwy Rd (see attached photos), so he seems to have moved to Owyhee County.
-Peter

[...]

At 1:30 this afternoon I saw a red-tail hawk at Deer Flat lower dam canal outlet with a red band on the wing. I saw a K on the band and the top part of the second letter ; I assumed it was a Z.  (Could have been a T).  Maybe a second banded red tail?

I’ve been looking for this bird ever since Cheryl first reported it.

On Jan 9, 2021, at 4:34 PM, Peter Olsoy <peterolsoy@...> wrote:

[...]

<DSC_0325.JPG>
<DSC_0328.JPG>