Dry Lakes - A pair of American Golden Plovers ?

Ceredig Roberts

Fou.

On Oct 18, 2020, at 11:06 PM, Linda Lamb <lamreeves58@...> wrote:

Thank you for the directions.  I am coming from Reno but spending the night in downtown Nampa.

-------- Original message --------
From: Louisa Evers <elouisa603@...>
Date: 10/18/20 6:09 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Dry Lakes -- no plovers but 4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls this evening

Where are you coming from?  The Dry Lakes playa is located adjacent to Stagecoach Road. I typically get there by heading out of Nampa on 12th St/Highway 45, turn right onto Bowmont, left on Dry Lakes Road (Bowmont t’s into Dry Lakes) and then Dry Lakes makes a 90 degree turn and becomes Stagecoach.  You could also turn right on Missouri or Bennett and the left onto Dry Lakes.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 17:21 Linda Lamb <lamreeves58@...> wrote:
We are going to be in the area tomorrow and would like to see what everyone is talking about. The link shows south east of CJ in the middle of a cultivated field. Can anyone give me better directions to the Dry Lakes?
Thanks, Linda

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Kevin Merrell

Thank you, Ceredig. Your long lens blesses us all.

Kevin Merrell

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 4:24 PM Ceredig Roberts via groups.io <ceredigroberts=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Based on a discussion on the Idaho Bird sightings and discussion page, these are probably black-bellied plovers.  That was based on Bill size, more in distinct supercilium, breast streaking instead of barring, and whiter bellies instead of gray bellies.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 16:24 Ceredig Roberts via groups.io <ceredigroberts=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Elizabeth Medes

They are so handsome.  What beautiful photos, Ceredig.

Liz Medes
Emmett

[...]

Looks like they are Black-bellied Plovers based on the input so far.  Ceredig

On Oct 19, 2020, at 4:44 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

They are so handsome.  What beautiful photos, Ceredig.

Liz Medes
Emmett

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 4:24 PM Ceredig Roberts via groups.io <ceredigroberts=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Fou.<713A6584.jpeg><713A6600.jpeg><713A6613.jpeg><713A6627.jpeg><713A6630.jpeg>

[...]

Carter Strope

I went and looked this afternoon and got good looks of the same 2 plovers in flight. They are Black-bellied based on having light rumps and dark axillary coverts/wingpits.

There were also Dunlin, Dowitchers, and Stilt, Least, and Semipalmated Sandpipers still present. The Dunlin count was up to 8 but there was only one Stilt Sandpiper today and drastically fewer gulls and Least Sandpipers.

-Carter Strope