Topics

Grace's Warbler p.s.

Larry Arnold

this caught nobody's attention ?   eyiyi

where IS everyone ?

Missy and I were birding our butts off yesterday in Owyhee County when at 1225 hrs, coolish 64F and partly cloudy, at 6000 ft in mixed conifer (Doug Fir, Ponderosa, etc?) I came to a screeching halt and we jumped out of the car with cameras rolling and ready to get a GPS reading.....  I was hearing a perfect-to-my-ears Grace's wobbler singing right next to the road.  This species had been recently expanding northward both in UT and CO, which you won't see in most field guides, but in eBird I was surprised at How Far North !!!   anyway, it turned out to be a Junco, but I'm still flabbergasted by how similar it sounded, and I'm talking about Song Detail.........

If you've never heard one singing, have a listen on xeno.....     https://www.xeno-canto.org/

And for the record, still no accepted reports of Grace's in Idaho, which in my experience is a " Ponderosa Pine species " in W Colorado

In theory, we're entering " the quiet time of year "  re: locally breeding passerines, but NOT at mid- and upper elevations   =)chirp-chirp

Larry

Denise Hughes

Working...

Denise Hughes
Caldwell, Idaho

On Jun 25, 2020, at 11:44 AM, Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

where IS everyone ?

Missy and I were birding our butts off yesterday in Owyhee County when at 1225 hrs, coolish 64F and partly cloudy, at 6000 ft in mixed conifer (Doug Fir, Ponderosa, etc?) I came to a screeching halt and we jumped out of the car with cameras rolling and ready to get a GPS reading.....  I was hearing a perfect-to-my-ears Grace's wobbler singing right next to the road.  This species had been recently expanding northward both in UT and CO, which you won't see in most field guides, but in eBird I was surprised at How Far North !!!   anyway, it turned out to be a Junco, but I'm still flabbergasted by how similar it sounded, and I'm talking about Song Detail.........

If you've never heard one singing, have a listen on xeno.....     https://www.xeno-canto.org/

And for the record, still no accepted reports of Grace's in Idaho, which in my experience is a " Ponderosa Pine species " in W Colorado

In theory, we're entering " the quiet time of year "  re: locally breeding passerines, but NOT at mid- and upper elevations   =)chirp-chirp

Larry

David Whitacre

caught my attention and I listened to a bunch of the recordings :)

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

where IS everyone ?

Larry

Bill Moore

Sounds like this sighting is akin to the often noted rock wolves and bears in Yellowstone/Bill Moore

where IS everyone ?

Larry

Larry Arnold

hey Bill, you live in good habitat for Grace's .......  AND you're maybe closest to northernmost eBird entries......  ;-)

how's your hummingbird activity about now ?  got migrants ?  or still just breeders ?

To: "IBLE" <IBLE@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 4:28:03 PM
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Grace's Warbler p.s.

Sounds like this sighting is akin to the often noted rock wolves and bears in Yellowstone/Bill Moore

where IS everyone ?

Larry

Bill Moore

Filled feeder #53 today. Rufous showed this afternoon. I guess every one else is a breeder.

Evening Grospigs are still showing so I guess breeding. Ravens brood, 5+, chasing parents.

Bubbly house wrens everywhere.

Brian beat me so I’ll likely not post Rufous.

Bil

On Jun 25, 2020, at 4:57 PM, Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

hey Bill, you live in good habitat for Grace's .......  AND you're maybe closest to northernmost eBird entries......  ;-)

how's your hummingbird activity about now ?  got migrants ?  or still just breeders ?

where IS everyone ?

Larry

Elizabeth Medes

Caught mine.   Listened to yellow rumped warblers all day in northern Gem County so this was a welcome break.

Liz Medes 
Emmett

Larry Arnold

Bill, thx always for hummer news, love it !!....  =)

back to Grace's..... 
we note that Dondi Black had recorded a different sounding junco at Silver City earlier the SAME Morning we were there....   https://ebird.org/checklist/S70788682

interestingly, our junco sounded nothing like this junco  !!!  
I had three different recordings of Grace's on my iPod and the one that matched most precisely is from my old CD set for the Rocky Mtns (Righter and Keller)

so what's up with Silver City junco's ???

Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 6:10:04 PM

Filled feeder #53 today. Rufous showed this afternoon. I guess every one else is a breeder.

Evening Grospigs are still showing so I guess breeding. Ravens brood, 5+, chasing parents.

Bubbly house wrens everywhere.

Brian beat me so I’ll likely not post Rufous.

Bil

On Jun 25, 2020, at 4:57 PM, Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

where IS everyone ?

Larry

Larry Arnold

=)   

thx Liz

all morning around the Silver City area our thermometer appeared to be stuck on 59F, a perfect temperature vs. what's eventually coming to Treasure Valley, maybe, who knows ??

Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 6:50:17 PM

Caught mine.   Listened to yellow rumped warblers all day in northern Gem County so this was a welcome break.

Liz Medes 
Emmett

Elizabeth Medes

And there were juncos at Rammage meadows in northern Gem County as well today! but they were chip/calling, not singing.  

Lots of serendipitous crossovers today!

Liz Medes
Emmett