Topics

Leucistic Red-Winged Blackbird

Micah Austin

IBLE Community,

I believe the bird in the attached photos is a leucistic female red-winged blackbird. What do you all think?  Found this last Friday at Camas WMA in the east shelterbelt.  It did not sing and was generally not shy.  I was able to observe the bird for as long as I wanted, which was about 30 minutes. 

Curious to hear opinions.  Thanks everyone!

Micah Austin
Ammon, Idaho  

Larry Arnold

Micah, regardless of IBLE community opinion and vote, that's an awesome looking bird   =)

Larry, W Boise

To: "IBLE" <IBLE@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 4, 2020 5:31:51 PM
Subject: [IBLE] Leucistic Red-Winged Blackbird

IBLE Community,

I believe the bird in the attached photos is a leucistic female red-winged blackbird. What do you all think?  Found this last Friday at Camas WMA in the east shelterbelt.  It did not sing and was generally not shy.  I was able to observe the bird for as long as I wanted, which was about 30 minutes. 

Curious to hear opinions.  Thanks everyone!

Micah Austin
Ammon, Idaho  

Elizabeth Medes

That is something.  We saw a leucistic junco last fall in Valley County.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Kind of dystopian.  

Liz Medes
Gem County

climb_on2002

We saw a Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk East of Iona this past winter in January. It took a few minutes to figure out what it was! It was almost all white facing us but eventually flew down and up landing with its back to us! Then we saw the red tail. 

MaDWhitham
Suivez vos rêves aujourd’hui!! Demain n’arrivera peut-être jamais

On May 6, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

That is something.  We saw a leucistic junco last fall in Valley County.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Kind of dystopian.  

Liz Medes
Gem County

--
MaDWhitham
Follow your dreams today, tomorrow’s not a guarantee 

Larry Arnold

Quelle citation parfaite pour notre époque ... !!   

one of my favorite languages, and I couldn't resist using google translate   ;-)

Missy and I had interesting birding before AND after our little front of weather blew through...  66 species on the Boise River Greenbelt, lower west end, and t'was a good mix

we "think" we dipped on the local Clay-colored Sparrow, thinking what we saw was a chippie?  we're still thinking through it ...

Larry

To: "IBLE" <IBLE@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:06:51 PM
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Leucistic Red-Winged Blackbird

We saw a Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk East of Iona this past winter in January. It took a few minutes to figure out what it was! It was almost all white facing us but eventually flew down and up landing with its back to us! Then we saw the red tail. 

MaDWhitham
Suivez vos rêves aujourd’hui!! Demain n’arrivera peut-être jamais

On May 6, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Liz Medes
Gem County

--
MaDWhitham
Follow your dreams today, tomorrow’s not a guarantee