May Day visitor

bike4birds

I put out my hummingbird feeders 2-3 days ago and waited IMpatiently. Today, while getting ready for my daily ride, a Black-chinned showed up, drank briefly and (I’m pretty sure) winked at me. (Well, maybe I just wanted him to wink at me.)

Tom McCabe, Boise

Diann Stone

Glad to hear Black-chinned Hummingbirds are showing up in town now. Does anyone on the Depot Bench have them? My feeders have been up for almost a month, but I haven't seen any yet. I'll start watching more frequently. It's the only species I see in my yard other than an occasional Rufous during fall migration.

Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." John Muir

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

I put out my hummingbird feeders 2-3 days ago and waited IMpatiently. Today, while getting ready for my daily ride, a Black-chinned showed up, drank briefly and (I’m pretty sure) winked at me. (Well, maybe I just wanted him to wink at me.)

Tom McCabe, Boise

henderson.danette

Hi Tom,
Our first BCHU male today too!  And a female Anna's as well. She has a white dot on her head....I think likely from banding?
Hope all is well with you and family.

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 2:31 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

I put out my hummingbird feeders 2-3 days ago and waited IMpatiently. Today, while getting ready for my daily ride, a Black-chinned showed up, drank briefly and (I’m pretty sure) winked at me. (Well, maybe I just wanted him to wink at me.)

Tom McCabe, Boise

akswanson

BCHU just showed up this week in the Central Bench, Boise but not at my feeders.  Have seen one on the canal path yesterday.  Ann

Glad to hear Black-chinned Hummingbirds are showing up in town now. Does anyone on the Depot Bench have them? My feeders have been up for almost a month, but I haven't seen any yet. I'll start watching more frequently. It's the only species I see in my yard other than an occasional Rufous during fall migration.

Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." John Muir

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

I put out my hummingbird feeders 2-3 days ago and waited IMpatiently. Today, while getting ready for my daily ride, a Black-chinned showed up, drank briefly and (I’m pretty sure) winked at me. (Well, maybe I just wanted him to wink at me.)

Tom McCabe, Boise

henderson.danette

Hi Tom,
Keep your eye out for that female Anna's with the dot. She may also have a pink smudge on her chest - both are leftover marks from winter banding. Heidi and Heather would be interested to know if this lady is hanging around nearby.
Also - just had a little male Calliope stop at the feeder. Hope he comes your way.
:) D

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 10:40 PM Danette H <danette444@...> wrote:
Hi Tom,
Our first BCHU male today too!  And a female Anna's as well. She has a white dot on her head....I think likely from banding?
Hope all is well with you and family.

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 2:31 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

I put out my hummingbird feeders 2-3 days ago and waited IMpatiently. Today, while getting ready for my daily ride, a Black-chinned showed up, drank briefly and (I’m pretty sure) winked at me. (Well, maybe I just wanted him to wink at me.)

Some Valley Co. species of note: Plumbeous vireo, several calliope hummers, Wilson’s phalarope, orange crowned warbler.
Also of note no rufous seen yet at the cabin, nor yellow warblers, yet.
But the ticks are out with a vengeance on Lickcreek Rd mossy granite out-crops😕
Cheers All, Rich Rusnak