Sparrow

Robert Kiernan

Any sparrow experts out there not the best view this was seen flats above swan falls about 1/12 mi east swan falls rd. Help Id.thanks

Austin Young

Vesper Sparrow! Reddish “shoulder” and white outer tail feathers are the primary field marks visible here.

Austin Young
Pocatello

--
Austin Young
younaust@...

Cliff Weisse

OK, rusty lesser wing coverts, white tipped black centered median wing coverts, white edge of tail - I'll go with Vesper Sparrow.

Cliff

On 4/14/20 5:45 PM, Robert Kiernan wrote:
Any sparrow experts out there not the best view this was seen flats above swan falls about 1/12 mi east swan falls rd. Help Id.thanks
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

Cliff Weisse

Looks like Austin beat me to the punch...

Cliff

On 4/14/20 5:55 PM, Austin Young wrote:
Vesper Sparrow! Reddish “shoulder” and white outer tail feathers are the primary field marks visible here.

Austin Young
Pocatello

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 17:46 Robert Kiernan <photobirder@...> wrote:
Any sparrow experts out there not the best view this was seen flats above swan falls about 1/12 mi east swan falls rd. Help Id.thanks
--
Austin Young
younaust@...
Undergraduate Student
Ecology and Conservation Biology Club President
Idaho State University
Pocatello, Idaho
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

Richard and Ann Rusnak

Are vespers usually on breeding grounds in early April?  I saw several savannah sparrows at Stonebreaker Rd, Valley Co., this past w/e, seems early?
(I will look into it on ebird)
Also, Williamson's sapsuckers are drumming away in the hills above Cascade, cooperative subjects!
Cheers, Happy Safe Birding out there, Cheers, Rich, Nampa

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:46 PM Robert Kiernan <photobirder@...> wrote:
Any sparrow experts out there not the best view this was seen flats above swan falls about 1/12 mi east swan falls rd. Help Id.thanks

Cliff Weisse

Yes, Vespers are pretty early. This eBird map shows records for this year:
https://ebird.org/map/vesspa?neg=true&env.minX=-130.6654375&env.minY=39.704047100622795&env.maxX=-97.6185625&env.maxY=50.945474279396336&zh=true&gp=true&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=cur
In Island Park they're here as soon as there's bare ground when the snow melts and Savannahs are usually a bit later to arrive.

Cliff

On 4/14/20 7:12 PM, Richard and Ann Rusnak wrote:
Are vespers usually on breeding grounds in early April?  I saw several savannah sparrows at Stonebreaker Rd, Valley Co., this past w/e, seems early?
(I will look into it on ebird)
Also, Williamson's sapsuckers are drumming away in the hills above Cascade, cooperative subjects!
Cheers, Happy Safe Birding out there, Cheers, Rich, Nampa

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:46 PM Robert Kiernan <photobirder@...> wrote:
Any sparrow experts out there not the best view this was seen flats above swan falls about 1/12 mi east swan falls rd. Help Id.thanks
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

jmeredit@...

in Oregon, in Harney county just south of Burns, 2 parties of us reported Vesper Sparrows on March 20th. Recent reports from central Oregon as well.

Judy from Bend, Or., Jmeredit@...

On 2020-04-14 18:12, Richard and Ann Rusnak wrote:

Are vespers usually on breeding grounds in early April?  I saw several savannah sparrows at Stonebreaker Rd, Valley Co., this past w/e, seems early?
(I will look into it on ebird)
Also, Williamson's sapsuckers are drumming away in the hills above Cascade, cooperative subjects!
Cheers, Happy Safe Birding out there, Cheers, Rich, Nampa

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:46 PM Robert Kiernan <photobirder@...> wrote:
Any sparrow experts out there not the best view this was seen flats above swan falls about 1/12 mi east swan falls rd. Help Id.thanks

R L ROWLAND RONALD ROWLAND

Hey all, RL here.
My little group picked up a single Vesper on the Elmore Co. portion of the Bruneau CBC, area between the base perimeter and the Snake R. canyon. Tried to get a photo for documentation but we had a stiff breeze and the bird was very flighty. It was a very striking looker. The white outer tail feathers stood out. I was figuring on the possibility of a Savannah not the little guy we did get.
Continued Good Birding (CGB). RL