From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz@...>
Date: Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Updated cumulative county year list file available at WA Birder through end October 2016
To: TWEETERS <tweeters@u.washington.edu>, Inland-nw-birders@...

Hi Tweeters & Inland NW Birders -

We've got the latest updated version of the 2016 County Year List Project up online at Washington Birder. Almost all counties have reported in with totals through the end of October. As ever, County Compilers, especially for the under-birded counties, would appreciate receiving reports of any birds seen in their counties not yet noted on this spreadsheet.

The state year total is  388, three fewer than last year at this point, when we had 391. The 2014 total was 390 at this point, 2013 was 394, and in 2012 we has 396.

Eastern WA has reported 319 species, identical to last year at this point  [vs 320 in 2014 and 2012, 321 in 2013]
Western WA has reported 357 species, down eight from last year’s 365 [vs 359 in 2014,  2013’s 360, and 365 in  2012]

20 counties have higher totals than at this point last year, with 18 bringing in lower totals.
30 counties are within ten species of their total from last year.

28 counties have tallied over 200 species for the year, and 37 have reported over 175.

71 species have been reported  in all 39 counties this year, 122 have been found in all 19 western WA counties and 89 have been found in all 20 eastern WA counties.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/

A direct link to the 2016 county yearlist & the list of county compilers, including a growing number of direct links to individual county year lists with more details and more frequent updates:

http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA. Looking forward to seeing how 2016 wraps up!

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA

David Lawrence <lawde13@...>

This is a bit misleading.  And, I'm not minimizing the effort put forth by Lew Ulrey and/or the county compilers as reflected on the spreadsheet that is hot-linked below, however with the evolution and growth of eBird since the County Big Year concept was introduced, the data displayed in the spreadsheet is somewhat irrelevant.  For instance the spreadsheet shows zero data for Canyon County, but a quick data search on eBird shows that 214 species have been reported this year from Canyon County.  The query also shows the date the species was first reported and by whom.  And, by clicking on the date, you can see the complete checklist and more detailed information as to the location and other birds seen at the same time.  Here is a link to what eBird displays for a request for Canyon County for the current year.  http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-ID-027?yr=cur&changeDate=Set.  The search is completed very quickly and can easily be replicated for any county in the entire USA and beyond, and for any year that you may be interested in researching.

Dave Lawrence

lawde13@...

Nampa, ID  83651

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lawde13/collections/72157643856871445/

"There is symbolic as well as actual beauty

in the migration of the birds; in the ebb and

flow of the tides; .... There is something infinitely

healing in these repeated refrains of nature, the

assurance that night after night, dawn comes,

and spring after winter."  -- Rachel Carson

From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz@...>
Date: Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM
To: TWEETERS <tweeters@u.washington.edu>, Inland-nw-birders@...

[...]

Shirley Sturts

True  but eBird doesn't often have the first report of the species for the year or even all the bird species reported.  For my county,  many of the birds I have on my list were never reported on eBird or were reported there much later in the month.

Also seeing it on a spread sheet like we have on idahobirds.net is easier to compare than looking up one county at a time.

Shirley

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 9:36 AM, David Lawrence <lawde13@...> wrote:

[...]

Cliff Weisse

As I see it the county lists are a fun way to compare what's going on in different parts of the state, or right next door. It's not a data base for species occurrence or arrival times, although it does give you an idea what to expect and when. I assume there's also a competitive aspect?? I would also point out there's nothing keeping county compilers, or anyone else (Dave?), from mining eBird data and adding it to the county lists or forwarding it to the compilers. My two cents' worth...

Cliff

On 11/19/2016 10:36 AM, 'David Lawrence' lawde13@... [ible] wrote:

[...]

I just looked up in eBird to see how many species were reported for Kootenai County.
eBird has 203 species.  I have 210 species for Kootenai County. Many people do not report their sighting on eBird,   As I said in other email, I gather reports from various sources, CBCs, Chapter field trips, email reports or calls to me etc.  I do check eBird as well.  I just found two more species to add when I checked just now.  I keep a county list on our Chapter Website as well as report to Lew.  A lot of my dates are earlier than what eBird has.  (it could be the other way around as well).
I also keep a chart of early arrivals (or first seen for non migrants) from 2002-1016.
see links below.

I think eBird is a great source but I still think a county lists on our Idaho website www.idahobirds.net has a value and I hope other birders will become compilers for their county.  It does take some work but it is fun to do.

Shirley Sturts
Compiler for Kootenai and Benewah County