Hawk ID help

JP

Any hawk experts want to weigh in on this one?  I have seen it around New Meadows in open fields where other RL Hawks and RT Hawks hang out.  When perched it appears all black with a white face/forehead patch, and thin white bar on end of tail.  I think it is a dark rough-legged hawk...  The last picture from behind is the same individual... I think.

This album has 4 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 4/19/2015.

Richard and Ann Rusnak

JP, Looks like a zone tailed hawk?
Nice find and shots!
RR

On Jan 19, 2015, at 7:04 PM, "'JP' johnpowell20@... [ible]" <ible-noreply@...> wrote:

Any hawk experts want to weigh in on this one?  I have seen it around New Meadows in open fields where other RL Hawks and RT Hawks hang out.  When perched it appears all black with a white face/forehead patch, and thin white bar on end of tail.  I think it is a dark rough-legged hawk...  The last picture from behind is the same individual... I think.

<-140143465527DE7B2.png>
This album has 4 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 4/19/2015.
<-12566000973052764.png> <-1449932905E13A4F1.png> <15390299270C00F7AA.png>

Robert Mortensen <birdingisfun@...>

 I imagine this is a first record for Idaho. I don't even see it on the Idaho checklist. Can I share these photos on the Idaho Birding Facebook group and get more people out looking for it?

On Jan 19, 2015, at 7:09 PM, Richard A Rusnak Jr rarusnak62@... [ible] <ible-noreply@...> wrote:

JP, Looks like a zone tailed hawk?

Nice find and shots!
RR
On Jan 19, 2015, at 7:04 PM, "'JP' johnpowell20@... [ible]" <ible-noreply@...> wrote:

Any hawk experts want to weigh in on this one?  I have seen it around New Meadows in open fields where other RL Hawks and RT Hawks hang out.  When perched it appears all black with a white face/forehead patch, and thin white bar on end of tail.  I think it is a dark rough-legged hawk...  The last picture from behind is the same individual... I think.

<-140143465527DE7B2.png>
This album has 4 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 4/19/2015.
<-12566000973052764.png> <-1449932905E13A4F1.png> <15390299270C00F7AA.png>

Jason Talbot

I agree with your dark morph rough-legged hawk but I'm not an expert.  I've never seen neither but I found several photos online that seemed to match it well.

Any hawk experts want to weigh in on this one?  I have seen it around New Meadows in open fields where other RL Hawks and RT Hawks hang out.  When perched it appears all black with a white face/forehead patch, and thin white bar on end of tail.  I think it is a dark rough-legged hawk...  The last picture from behind is the same individual... I think.

This album has 4 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 4/19/2015.

Terry Gray <clgtlg@...>

All Dark Harlan’s Red-tailed Hawk!

Terry

Any hawk experts want to weigh in on this one?  I have seen it around New Meadows in open fields where other RL Hawks and RT Hawks hang out.  When perched it appears all black with a white face/forehead patch, and thin white bar on end of tail.  I think it is a dark rough-legged hawk...  The last picture from behind is the same individual... I think.

This album has 4 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 4/19/2015.

Jay Carlisle

I like dark Rough-leg as well (for one, doesn't have the obviously barred flight feathers of a Zone-tail plus the tail seems to have too wide of a white area).  Not sure how common the white forehead is on dark Rough-legs but a very good-looking bird!

Jay

On Jan 19, 2015, at 7:22 PM, Jason Talbot jason.talbot1@... [ible] <ible-noreply@...> wrote:

I agree with your dark morph rough-legged hawk but I'm not an expert.  I've never seen neither but I found several photos online that seemed to match it well.

Any hawk experts want to weigh in on this one?  I have seen it around New Meadows in open fields where other RL Hawks and RT Hawks hang out.  When perched it appears all black with a white face/forehead patch, and thin white bar on end of tail.  I think it is a dark rough-legged hawk...  The last picture from behind is the same individual... I think.

This album has 4 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 4/19/2015.

Louie Quintana

A Zone-tailed Hawk ID should be a caution. Zone-tailed Hawks winter in Mexico, and it's in Summer that they venture into the SW U.S. Look at the great pic in fight - the tip of the wing and the distinct white of the area before the tip both suggest a dark morph Rough-legged Hawk, which makes more sense. If you look at the Zone-tailed Hawk, the end of the wings are much "dirtier", and the tips of the wings are more "fanned" in a typical buteo style. Just my two cents with. (P.S. Thx, Harry Krueger for teaching me your "eye".)

Louie Quintana

Those That Hear Not The Music
Think     The     Dancers      Mad

Including el camino de mil millas
comienza por el primer paso.

El Jan 19, 2015, a las 6:09 PM, "Richard A Rusnak Jr rarusnak62@... [ible]" <ible-noreply@...> escribió:

JP, Looks like a zone tailed hawk?

Nice find and shots!
RR
On Jan 19, 2015, at 7:04 PM, "'JP' johnpowell20@... [ible]" <ible-noreply@...> wrote:

Any hawk experts want to weigh in on this one?  I have seen it around New Meadows in open fields where other RL Hawks and RT Hawks hang out.  When perched it appears all black with a white face/forehead patch, and thin white bar on end of tail.  I think it is a dark rough-legged hawk...  The last picture from behind is the same individual... I think.

<-140143465527DE7B2.png>
This album has 4 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 4/19/2015.
<-12566000973052764.png> <-1449932905E13A4F1.png> <15390299270C00F7AA.png>

Louie Quintana

A Dark morph Rough-legged is a very cool siting! The alternate morphs are always thrilling to see, in my opinion.