Horned Larks

tdtealbirder

Saw 4 Horned Larks on Sucker Creek Rd in Gem County today around 12:15, it was great to see them.

Tim

Richard and Ann Rusnak

Question, How often are Canyon wrens seen in winter in Owyhees and is this area normal over winter canyon wren habitat? I've always seen rock wrens in winter, just do not remember canyon wrens?
 I was hiking on Wilson Creek Bluffs today and saw small flocks of several horned, one canyon wren singing (see Facebook pg), lots of covids, and 3 golden eagles up close, flushed one covey of 6 chukkar , 20+ wild horses.
Great Ground Hog Day, Cheers, Rich Rusnak, Nampa

On Feb 2, 2014, at 2:41 PM, "tdtealbirder" <tdteal@...> wrote:

Saw 4 Horned Larks on Sucker Creek Rd in Gem County today around 12:15, it was great to see them.

Tim

Cliff Weisse

Rich,

Can't look at your Canyon Wren (don't do Facebook) but I see Canyon Wrens in the Owyhees during winter regularly in the Reynold's Creek area. Always near rock outcroppings but not always near water. Hope this helps.

Cliff

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

There has been a Canyon Wren at Discovery Park near Boise.  I believe several people have seen or heard it when waiting for the Rosy finches to roost for the night.

Denise Hughes

On Feb 2, 2014, at 6:02 PM, Cliff and Lisa Weisse <cliffandlisa@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Hofhine <steven.hofhine@...>

I've seen at least two Canyon Wrens at Celebration Park.

On Feb 2, 2014, at 6:51 PM, Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Cooper

Just saw one singing this afternoon at Celebration Park.

On Feb 2, 2014, at 6:52 PM, "Denise Hughes" <deniseh449@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay Carlisle

My sense is that some lingering Canyon Wrens are normal each winter in canyon & rocky country.  It seems to be a rare but regular species on the Christmas Bird Counts in the right habitat (Black Cliffs by Diversion Dam, etc.)

Even though the field guides suggest it's a year-round resident throughout it's range, if I had to guess, I'd bet that a good proportion do leave Idaho for the winter and then come back in the spring but I don't know if there's any data on that.

Jay

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:52 PM, Denise Hughes wrote:

[...]

Cool, Thanks for the info on over wintering songsters the canyon wrens.
Cheers, Rich Rusnak, Nampa.