Topics

2020 Retrospective and Thank-You's

Carter Strope

Greetings IBLE,

I hope you all had a wonderful New Year.

With 2020 finally in the rear view, I wanted to take a moment to look back on my year of birding and give some well overdue thanks to a number of people.

This year, as a result of determination, circumstance, and a great deal of luck I was fortunate enough to amass an Idaho State Year List of 321 species, just surpassing the longstanding Idaho Big Year record of 318. The previous record was, as many or most of you may already know, was set by the late Harry J Krueger in 2004.

Beyond the hardship we all faced as a global society, 2020 challenged me in ways I could not have expected.

While I had the incredible opportunity to see parts of this state, birds, and natural phenomena I had never seen before. Those moments of wonder came alongside many trials, and long days and, some even longer nights. Those hurdles were the experiences that made me a better birder and a better person at the end of it all. The moments that tried me this year were as valuable to me as the moments of rich triumph, and altogether made for an experience I am truly grateful for.

12 months, 44 counties, and 321 bird species later I am left in awe, once again, of Idaho and all that it has to offer.

More importantly, however, I would like to thank a number of people. There are too many people to acknowledge here and now but I would like to give special thanks to Jay and Heidi Carlisle, Cheryl Huzinga, Lucian Davis, Darren Clark, Carl Lundblad, Cliff Weisse, James Petersen, and the many supportive and wonderful birders of the Wood River Valley including Jean Seymour, Poo Wright-Pulliam, and Larry Barnes, with whom I began this great adventure, and the late Harry J Krueger for setting a very high bar, that was both incredibly difficult and wildly fun to pursue. All of these people played an integral part in making this year possible, and as such have my eternal gratitude.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and I wish you the best of luck in 2021.

Bird on,
Carter Strope

P.S. For those who are curious, you can find my final list here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-aBB2NtpJ3PrhsqWTGs2cIu1phTC3l6J7GxwlDxv79s/edit?usp=drivesdk

Lucian Davis

Congratulations, and I appreciate the acknowledgment. Thank you for pushing me to be a better birder and to explore more of Idaho. And of course thanks for all the lifers. I’m glad I got to join you on some of the fantastic adventures of 2020.
-Lucian

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 10:53 PM Carter Strope <cmstropep@...> wrote:
[...]

cheryl huizinga

It was so much fun to watch you achieve that lofty standard!  I so much admire your dogged determination to pursue that goal and make it happen. It was one bright spot in 2020 to see you do it with birding ethics.
You staying with that Common Crane ALL day showing everyone that showed up for it where it was was truly special!
Congratulations!! You earned it!!
Cheryl

On Jan 2, 2021, at 12:19 AM Lucian Davis <lucianjdavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Miracle

Congratulations Carter Strope !!

Thank you to the entire group and to all who have patiently helped me as I ventured into E Bird and Sparrow ID and finding in 2020. I blame Heidi Carlisle for getting me hooked on the little brown birds :-) Thanks to Poo Wright-Pulliam for helping out in the Wood River Valley, and to Cliff Weisse, Heid and Jay Carlisle, Carter and many others for helping my correct my Bird ID on E Bird, Facebook and elsewhere with the most recent by Carl Lundblad who told me yesterday that I had found and photographed a Swainson’s Thrush on 12-24-20 at Barber Park not a Hermit Thrush … I had photographed one other Swainson’s Thrush, juvenile 8-3-16 in Seldovia Alaska. My rookie bird brain never even thought of anything besides a Hermit Thrush for Christmas Eve at Barber Park and completely ignored the buffy eye ring rounded head etc.. :-)

On Jan 1, 2021, at 10:53 PM, Carter Strope <cmstropep@...> wrote:

[...]

Carter the more I contemplate 321 species in Idaho in one year the more amazing it is !!

What discipline, perserverance, dedication, patience and wheel time buzzing around Idaho in all weather conditions and in the weird pandemic year of 2020.

Absolutely amazing !!

[...]

Andrea King

Congratulations on your big year record, that is really neat!

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021, 8:40 AM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Congratulations to you, Carter, and you couldn't have said it better.  Idaho... leaves us all in awe.  And what a year in which to discover it.

Liz Medes
Emmett - the east side

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 3:41 PM Andrea King <aking0601@...> wrote:
[...]

Louisa Evers

Let me add my congratulations to everyone else’s. Pretty damn awesome!

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

henderson.danette

CONGRATULATIONS Carter! I thought about you several times today while doing the Bruneau CBC. Who knew last year while doing the count together you were just about to begin a spectacular year of birding!

Truly impressive.
Best wishes in 2021.
Danette Henderson

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021, 10:53 PM Carter Strope <cmstropep@...> wrote:
[...]

Linda Lamb

Quite an accomplishment. We put on 20,000 miles on the car the year we did an Idaho big year and didn't get close to your number. Very impressive.
Apologies first for tagging a different topic on to this post but couldn't get a  new post to work for some reason.
While birding east of Sandpoint on Sunnyside road we spotted a Eurasian Widgeon around 3 pm Saturday at the narrowest point of water between Fisherman's island and Sunnyside rd.  We also spotted a Greater white fronted goose near Shaw inlet but the most unusual sighting for us was two Green-winged Teals spotted near the Eurasian Widgeon. Does anybody know if a Green-winged Teal has been spotted so early in the new year in the North Idaho area of Lake Pend Oreille?
Thanks Linda Lamb

rattlesnake4873

You can check spedcies maps in eBird, which will provide data if it's in their database.

Dean

Quite an accomplishment. We put on 20,000 miles on the car the year we did an Idaho big year and didn't get close to your number. Very impressive.
Apologies first for tagging a different topic on to this post but couldn't get a  new post to work for some reason.
While birding east of Sandpoint on Sunnyside road we spotted a Eurasian Widgeon around 3 pm Saturday at the narrowest point of water between Fisherman's island and Sunnyside rd.  We also spotted a Greater white fronted goose near Shaw inlet but the most unusual sighting for us was two Green-winged Teals spotted near the Eurasian Widgeon. Does anybody know if a Green-winged Teal has been spotted so early in the new year in the North Idaho area of Lake Pend Oreille?
Thanks Linda Lamb

Linda Lamb

Thank you. That was very helpful. It appears that a few have been seen in later January and a lot in December. In all my years of birding out there I had never seen them in January or February so was curious.

[...]

Thank you all for your congratulations, I really appreciate it. It truly was a wonderful experience.

Carter Strope