This was using the Rocky Mountain sound pack.  It correctly recorded all of the sonograms but did a poor job of identifying them.

I’ll try in in the field and see if It does any better but so far pretty unimpressive.

Bob Davis

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:49 AM, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28@...> wrote:

Thank you got it downloaded. Will have to try it when I get out again.

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:34 AM, JP <johnpowell20@...> wrote:

Ken,
I just tried it out my window and it shows the sounds. It correctly identified yellow warblers and robins amidst lots of other ambient sounds.
Very cool.

John in Cascade

-------- Original message --------
From: "Ken Miracle via groups.io" <chukar28@...>
Date: 6/30/21 8:21 AM (GMT-07:00)
Subject: Re: [IBLE] New Merlin Sound app

I can not hear most fly catchers etc. that are high 8,000 hz and higher. Neither the birds nor the sound played by various apps.

Will this allow me to see a graphic representation of the sound? Then maybe it can help me ID those birds that I am told can best be differentiated by sound ie. Cordilleran and Pacific-slope etc..

On Jun 29, 2021, at 8:07 PM, Darren Clark <darrenclarkbird@...> wrote:

Yeah. I think it’s a game changer for sure. I think it’s one of the biggest advances in birding since digital photography. I’ve been very impressed.

Darren Clark
Rexburg, ID

On Jun 29, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Hello Idaho birders,

I am curious what everyone's response is for those who have upgraded to Merlin's sound ID.  So far, I've been impressed; particularly when we are birding with multiple competing layers of sound, i.e. creek side, wind, water rushing by, always stiff competition for me.  I've used Sound Sleuth and Birdnet but they are challenged to pull out song from certain conditions.  With the warblers way up in the pine tops, or various thrushes hopping along the roaring creek, that makes it tough.

We birded upper Gem County early this a.m., and to watch the app locate and post birds one after another - well, that was unexpected.  Once tipped off by the app, I found nesting American Dippers, which I couldn't discern in all the racquet, also a Townsends Solitaire, and an unexpected wren, to my aged ear.  When out of range of service, it will provide some odd ball guesses, but when I get home and listen again, I can see where it's going.  Very intuitive as an app, but also a major piece of science.  Kudos to Cornell O Lab.

Who else has experience good/bad with it?

Liz Medes
Emmett ID