Re: New Merlin Sound app

Elizabeth Medes

I do find that it skipped over lower register calls - it picked up the flycatchers, but ignored the clucking of a ruffed grouse hen and chicks practically at my feet.  Today it did the same thing,  passed over the quail in the sage four feet from me, but caught everything else.

Liz Medes

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:18 AM Dan Richards <hobyjudy@...> wrote:
Wow!  Thanks for the tip about the new update (I’m terrible about updating my apps).  I’ve been using Song Sleuth for a couple of years and it is helpful, but often gives me really oddball suggestions.  I do point counts as part of my Forest Service job.  This will be my new best friend!

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:57 AM, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28@...> wrote:

Could be … all worked right out of the box on my iPhone

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:54 AM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

I don't know if this has anything to do with me using an Android device, but I wound up having to reinstall all of Merlin before I could get the sound portion to work.

Liz

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 8:49 AM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you got it downloaded. Will have to try it when I get out again.

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:34 AM, JP <johnpowell20@...> wrote:

Ken,
I just tried it out my window and it shows the sounds. It correctly identified yellow warblers and robins amidst lots of other ambient sounds.
Very cool.

John in Cascade

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/30/21 8:21 AM (GMT-07:00) 
Subject: Re: [IBLE] New Merlin Sound app 

I can not hear most fly catchers etc. that are high 8,000 hz and higher. Neither the birds nor the sound played by various apps.

Will this allow me to see a graphic representation of the sound? Then maybe it can help me ID those birds that I am told can best be differentiated by sound ie. Cordilleran and Pacific-slope etc..

On Jun 29, 2021, at 8:07 PM, Darren Clark <darrenclarkbird@...> wrote:

Yeah. I think it’s a game changer for sure. I think it’s one of the biggest advances in birding since digital photography. I’ve been very impressed. 

Darren Clark
Rexburg, ID 

On Jun 29, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Hello Idaho birders,

I am curious what everyone's response is for those who have upgraded to Merlin's sound ID.  So far, I've been impressed; particularly when we are birding with multiple competing layers of sound, i.e. creek side, wind, water rushing by, always stiff competition for me.  I've used Sound Sleuth and Birdnet but they are challenged to pull out song from certain conditions.  With the warblers way up in the pine tops, or various thrushes hopping along the roaring creek, that makes it tough.

We birded upper Gem County early this a.m., and to watch the app locate and post birds one after another - well, that was unexpected.  Once tipped off by the app, I found nesting American Dippers, which I couldn't discern in all the racquet, also a Townsends Solitaire, and an unexpected wren, to my aged ear.  When out of range of service, it will provide some odd ball guesses, but when I get home and listen again, I can see where it's going.  Very intuitive as an app, but also a major piece of science.  Kudos to Cornell O Lab.

Who else has experience good/bad with it?

Liz Medes
Emmett ID 

Ken Miracle
chukar28@...
208-570-2780
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" 2COR 3:5

Ken Miracle
chukar28@...
208-570-2780
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" 2COR 3:5

Ken Miracle
chukar28@...
208-570-2780

Join IBLE@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.