Expedition to the Chukar Butte frog ponds

Kevin Merrell

A friend and I took it into our heads to hike to the Chukar Butte frog ponds early this morning. Mallards, a crow passing overhead off in the distance, a chukar, RW blackbirds, a GBH, unidentified singers and a bullfrog rewarded our expedition. We were too tuckered out to hike up to the smaller pond, so we claimed victory enjoying the main pond.

Lots of mountain bikers coming and going on the trail. If you're a mountain biker you could pause to take in the pond then head off like some of them to Peggy's Trail or the Daniel's Creek Trail.

Kevin Merrell, Boise