Boise CBC preliminary species total

Jay Carlisle

Howdy folks

Boise's CBC was held today in a mix of very foggy (~1/3 to 1/2 of the circle?) to beautiful sunny weather.  A number of misses but some great finds. Thanks a ton to everyone who participated, and to the many folks to who helped coordinate!

Preliminary totals:
  • participants: ~80
  • species: 104 on count day, plus 6 count week species that had been seen Thurs-Sat but not today
Highlights:
  • Trumpeter Swan (a 1st) - western greenbelt & ponds on N side
  • RB Merganser (only a handful of years) - Barber Park
  • Osprey (~7th time)
  • Greater Yellowlegs (2nd time?)
  • 2 Spotted Sandpipers (only a handful of years)
  • Long-eared Owl (1st time?) - high in foothills
  • 2 Bushtits (2nd time?) - on Joplin rd across from SW corner of storage facility
  • Ovenbird (!!; 2nd time in a row) - private residence, can't be seen from street
    • I don't know the address but knowing the CBC zone it was in, it can't be more than ~2 miles from the bird we hosted last winter ... same bird or serious coincidence??
  • Western Tanager (1st time) - Barber Park
  • Lincoln's Sparrow (~4th time) - canal W of Borah Park
  • good variety of finches - Red Crossbill, Pine Grosbeak, and Evening Grosbeak
  • count week species: Lesser Scaup, Barred Owl, Lesser Black-backed and Herring Gulls, Blue Jay, Harris's Sparrow
Misses (mainly due to fog or access):
  • blackbirds (too foggy to see main roost in gravel pits) - Yellow-headed, Brewer's, and BH Cowbird
  • gulls - esp. Mew, Thayer's (landfill & wastewater treatment facility closed)
  • Ring-necked Pheasant (less & less habitat in our circle)
  • Rough-legged Hawk
  • American Pipit
Please let me know if I missed anything :-) & happy new year!