Re: Great Gray Owl

Andrea King

Amazing encounter and lovely photo!  I wish I could make the trip, but I live all the way over near Idaho Falls.  Hoping some GGO make their way down here this Winter, too.  It is my first year living here, so I am learning all of the good places to go birding :)

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 8:51 AM Richard and Ann Rusnak <rarusnak62@...> wrote:
I have skulked through the same land as Dean, twice this fall/winter no luck seeing one of these beauties.
Good luck to all this holiday season and during the CBC
Rich Rusnak, Nampa/Cascade

On Dec 16, 2020, at 6:07 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Ken, it was a quarterback shot, front and center.  So lucky am I.

Liz

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 6:01 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
WOW … great look and photo. I always seem to find them screened by branches etc. :-)

On Dec 16, 2020, at 5:37 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

 Jeff, I wish!
This has to be a one-off due to the heavy fog near the Payette today.  I couldn't believe my eyes, and got so excited I'll probably need to get my car interior detailed!

 I had zero connectivity, in auto route trolling mode, and was watching the hunters leave, the red tails playing, and the fog roll in when I found it.  Crikey, what a big owl!  Roosting about 3 ft off the ground.  I didn't linger, no longer than the time to get 3 photos.  I made a u-turn after the hunters had left and it was still there, preening!

To be as quasi precise as a sensitive species sighting is allowed, this was in Gem County, Montour WMA, about .5 mile or so from the Payette River.  Someone tell me if I need to do anything else, or less than.

Liz Medes
Gem County ID

<GGOW Montour WMA 12162020.JPG>