From: "Jay Carlisle via groups.io" <carlislejay@...>
To: "IBLE" <IBLE@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, December 5, 2020 3:31:07 PM
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Another great day on the Greenbelt

Nice finds!
Let’s hope the sapsucker lingers til the CBC (Dec 27 :-) \uD83E\uDD1E

Jay

On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 3:02 PM, bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

I knew I would have a good day when I spotted a MERLIN at 23rd & Brumback St., long before I got to the river. Then I proceeded to find the usual suspects, until I found a RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER, in some pine trees at the Willow Lane athletic complex. These trees are on the southwest corner of the only soccer field there, right along the greenbelt. These trees played host to RNSA a few years ago. Some of the other pines along the soccer field still have the line of holes from a prior visit.

I then found my f.o.s. BARROW’S GOLDENEYE further downriver, almost to Silver Lake. He was consorting with several of his COMMON brethren. Then, on the way back, I happened to notice a clump of gray up in a tree and discovered a WESTERN SCREECH OWL sitting on a branch about 20 feet up, soaking up the rays.

This is the second day in a row that I’ve found more than 40 species on my bike ride, but the Red-naped Sapsucker really made my day. Plus, this week I surpassed 4,000 miles for the 9th year in a row. But, hey, who’s counting?