Re: An interesting day for yard birds!

rattlesnake4873

I recall an afternoon on the John Muir trail in the early 70s or late 60s when we had all three western nuthatches and a brown creeper in the same tree simultaneously. That was a pretty cool rest stop on the way to Silver Pass.

Dean Jones

“Bird is a verb.”

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 3:31 PM Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

Scott, what a remarkable "parade" through your yard, for *any* yard around here (Treasure Valley).....  including a WCSP sub-species “bullyae”   =)
Your "where am I?" quiz would be a good one......

I thought of doing a similar thing when our Lawrence's Goldfinch / LAGO / showed up in Grand Junction CO, at the same time we had LEGO, AMGO, and PISI at our thistle feeders...... not sure why, but our LAGO attracted birders from the east coast, west coast, gulf coast, yada yada, for two months....  but I'll add that it was a very regular visitor to our thistle and was following a female LEGO around ("following flights") and doing some rapid billing (“mandibulation") with her, as in mating behaviors, resulting in thousands of photos being taken, and two stenos filled with observational notes by visiting birders.  As well as a paper published in the Colorado Field Ornithologists Quarterly.

Not sure if anyone remembers my wren quiz from a few years ago, when me and a birding buddy found all of the North American wrens in one day without driving very far.  The reason we did that was because one of our first birds of the day in our campground was a Sedge Wren, so off we went to find the others, but that involved *both* being in the right part of the country (S Texas) and the right season (winter-ish) and t’was before Pacific Wren was peeled off from Winter Wren.

BTW, when I first got fascinated by hummingbirds, I went directly home from work every day for years and headed straight into our back yard in Albuquerque, where our hum-feeders were concentrated, and I took notes~notes~notes, filling a 2" binder each year with *just* hummingbird observations because I was well beyond any hope for help from a psychiatrist, hahaha

Thx again Scott for notes on your observations, because it unlocked some of my own deeply buried memories/experiences   =)

Larry,

West Boise Greenbelt

Birds Rock !!!