Re: Dry Lakes -- no plovers but 4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls this evening

Carter Strope

Hi Jay and other IBLE members, Cheryl Huzinga, Bob Kiernan, and I were there earlier this afternoon and observed only a single Second Cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull. There were much lower gull numbers overall at that time.

 In my recent visits shorebird numbers appear to peak around 3-5 there and drop steeply after that. Definitely a productive spot this fall. There were many sandpipers present including Dunlin and Stilt, Western, Least, and Semipalmated Sandpipers.

-Carter Strope

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020, 21:47 Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hoping to run into some of the exciting shorebird action, Heidi & I tried Dry Lakes in the last hour before sunset.  No golden or BB plovers but at least 1,000 gulls cycling through and we observed the most Lesser Black-backed Gulls in one location I've ever seen in Idaho!  Some ~passable digiscope pics in this eBird checklist: ebird.org/checklist/S75005540 - no full adults but a 1st winter, a couple ~1.5 year-olds (2nd cycle), and a presumed 3rd-cycle (based on a mostly yellow bill that doesn't show up on the pics I got before the whole flock took to the air).

I only wish this place was a bit closer to home - if so, I'd go 2x/day :-)

Jay

On Friday, October 16, 2020, 8:18:34 PM MDT, Scott Tuthill <satuthill@...> wrote:

Thanks RL -- I scanned every inch of this field. I remembered your notes. My bet is they were mixed in with the Dowtichers on the far side of the pond and I didn't spend enough time to see them. But, at that distance there was no way I could ID them, and for a State Bird, I would not put it on my list.