Dry Lakes -- no plovers but 4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls this evening

Jay Carlisle

Hoping to run into some of the exciting shorebird action, Heidi & I tried Dry Lakes in the last hour before sunset.  No golden or BB plovers but at least 1,000 gulls cycling through and we observed the most Lesser Black-backed Gulls in one location I've ever seen in Idaho!  Some ~passable digiscope pics in this eBird checklist: ebird.org/checklist/S75005540 - no full adults but a 1st winter, a couple ~1.5 year-olds (2nd cycle), and a presumed 3rd-cycle (based on a mostly yellow bill that doesn't show up on the pics I got before the whole flock took to the air).

I only wish this place was a bit closer to home - if so, I'd go 2x/day :-)

Jay

On Friday, October 16, 2020, 8:18:34 PM MDT, Scott Tuthill <satuthill@...> wrote:

Thanks RL -- I scanned every inch of this field. I remembered your notes. My bet is they were mixed in with the Dowtichers on the far side of the pond and I didn't spend enough time to see them. But, at that distance there was no way I could ID them, and for a State Bird, I would not put it on my list.