New Breeding Bird on Place

lcarrigan_55

Got a new breeding bird & an example of nest parasitism all in one setting, just a bit ago. Was watching my Hummer feeder & kept hearing a persistent "zzz zzz" call. Looked on the ground beneath seed feeder & saw 4 Lincoln's Sparrows & one larger brownish-streaked bird. And one of the Lincoln's was busy feeding the larger bird. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

Finally, realized a Lincoln's Sparrow was doing everything it could to keep up with the appetite of a juv BH Cowbird! So, my first documented Lincoln's Sparrow nesting on place, plus another species being parasitized by BH Cowbird on place. All in one setting.