Re: Doppler radar

lcarrigan_55

Personally, I've found that Doppler Radar isn't as useful in our region during the spring months. Spring migration seems more sporadic compared to fall migration, when birds tend to stage in larger groups. However, watching coastal Dopplers of TX, SE US & FL radars, you can see both spring mass arrivals & fall exodus.

My best Doppler Radar findings for birds have been fall mass gatherings of mixed swallow species, mainly Rough-winged, Cliff & Bank by the thousands, gathering on power lines. The mass winter Bohemian Waxwing irruption, I described, & summer evening little brown bats flying over the Snake River. Given our spring storms, I don't seem to find as many "biologics" on radar in our region as I do summer & fall.