Re: Lesser Goldfinch

rbird1286

Thanks so much for the input.  Surprisingly...or not, I am 1.5 miles from Eagle Road off McMillan.   My other house was South of the Freeway.

On Sunday, August 2, 2020, 3:09:11 PM MDT, bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

When I first joined IBLE (lo, these many years ago), I went birding with RL and he directed me to a small neighborhood out Warm Springs, near where Idaho 21 now crosses the Boise River. We went there to see the Lesser Goldfinches that--apparently-- could be found nowhere else in the Treasure Valley.

Within a few years, I started seeing Lesser Goldfinches at my feeders in the North End. Now, I see and hear them all along the Boise River, at least to Eagle Road. (Going to Eagle Road is a LONG bike ride for me, and I have rarely ventured beyond it.)

Long story short—I think they have been expanding their range in the valley for some time. If I were you I would greet them warmly, maybe put out an extra sock feeder (they love nyger thistle), and sit back and enjoy. Their year round yellow is a delight on a dreary winter day.

Tom McCabe, Boise

From: IBLE@groups.io [mailto:IBLE@groups.io] On Behalf Of rbird1286 via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2020 2:12 PM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: [IBLE] Lesser Goldfinch

This morning I saw a lesser goldfinch in my neighbors front yard in North Meridian.  Never having seen one in 25 years of living in Idaho I was wondering if his was unusual or not?

We have a couple of yards that have sunflowers in them, but I grew sunflowers at my other home in Meridian and never saw them...would just get American Goldfinches.

Ruthann Greene