Re: (Im)possible Gull-billed Tern at upper end of American Falls reservoir ...

John Shortis

Maybe these photos would help Jay.
I notice that the bird's tail is gray above, did you notice that on your bird?
Coincidentally, two of this species were seen in the UK last week, the bird is rare there also but seen a few times most years.

John Shortis

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 03:27:44 PM MDT, Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay@...> wrote:

:-)

Yeah, it’s quite out of range - thus my surprise/disbelief!

I’ve seen many hundreds of Gull-billed in southern US states and Latin America ... just wasn’t expecting it here.

No additional sightings today.  Surveyed on McTucker this AM (only Forster’s & Caspian plus Ring-billed & Franklin’s gulls) & just spent 20 minutes at Am Falls dam - no terns, just Ring-billed & Franklin’s gulls and a surprise male RB Merganser 😁

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 12:44 PM, Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

well geeeze, I see a couple of nearby reports in eBird, like.......

San Francisco CA, a mere 700 mi LOS, but can a GBTE fly a straight line?   ;-)

and

Liberal KS, a mere 800 miles LOS, if it flew straight

intriguing....  but does the person reporting have much experience with GBTE, like with their flight pattern and foraging strategy...?