Panhandle Birds: Hudsonian Godwit update and early Baird's Sandpiper

Carl Lundblad

On Tuesday evening, I made a last-minute trip to see the HUDSONIAN GODWIT that Jethro Runco found at Boundary Creek WMA (Boundary County) on Monday morning. I arrived at six PM during a merciful break in the rain and quickly found the Godwit foraging near the SW portion of the main/largest pond. As I was watching, a surprise TUNDRA SWAN (unexpected in July) flew in and landed nearby.  I returned to the WMA early this morning and could not relocate the Godwit, so it has probably moved on, despite poor and rainy conditions continuing overnight.

On my way home to Moscow, I stopped at Sandpoint City Beach, thinking I was crazy to do so in heavy rain and a 50 degree temperature.  Immediately I found a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER that appears to be the earliest southbound ("fall) record for all of Idaho in eBird.  3 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS were also present.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, ID