Re: Grace's Warbler

rattlesnake4873

I took notice. GREA at Cave Creek Canyon in AZ in June 1976. Great two weeks of birding. It would be awesome to find in Idaho.

Dean Jones

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 4:15 PM Diann Stone <dstoneak2id@...> wrote:
Grace's Warbler is a pretty bird. It would be exciting in the extreme if you had seen one here. I've been thrilled to see them in Arizona. Eyes to the skies! And in bushes and on the ground.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 10:42 AM Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

Missy and I were birding our butts off yesterday in Owyhee County when at 1225 hrs, coolish 64F and partly cloudy, at 6000 ft in mixed conifer (Doug Fir, Ponderosa, etc?) I came to a screeching halt and we jumped out of the car with cameras rolling and ready to get a GPS reading.....  I was hearing a perfect-to-my-ears Grace's wobbler singing right next to the road.  This species had been recently expanding northward both in UT and CO, which you won't see in most field guides, but in eBird I was surprised at How Far North !!!   anyway, it turned out to be a Junco, but I'm still flabbergasted by how similar it sounded, and I'm talking about Song Detail.........

If you've never heard one singing, have a listen on xeno.....     https://www.xeno-canto.org/

And for the record, still no accepted reports of Grace's in Idaho, which in my experience is a " Ponderosa Pine species " in W Colorado

In theory, we're entering " the quiet time of year "  re: locally breeding passerines, but NOT at mid- and upper elevations   =)chirp-chirp

Larry