Re: Male Rufous

Bill Moore

I agree. Looking back over my close to 20 yrs of records, a couple times they first showed up about now and a few times in the first week of July, but most frequent by far arrival is next week. I always figured they were southbound migrants. Rufous tend to stay around here into August, both male and females. For those of you who wish IBLE had more numbers, I refilled 4 cup feeder 41 this afternoon. I’ve been watching for rufous but nothing yet.

The garage house wrens are working on a second nest after first one emptied out this week. I still have a couple Evening Grosbeaks around along with Black Headed and loads of buntings.

Bill Moore
Hoot Owl Rd
Inkom

On Jun 19, 2020, at 1:17 PM, Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad@...> wrote:

Cool observation, Brian. I'd suggest that this bird probably was an early fall (southbound) migrant.  In other parts of the interior west, including much further south (Arizona and New Mexico), southbound migrant rufous (typically beginning with adult males) routinely arrive around the final week of June. The first southbound shorebirds (usually beginning with Phalaropes, Tringa sandpipers, and peeps) should also begin to appear any day.  "Fall" migration begins in late June after about 10 slow days in the middle of the month.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, ID

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just had a bright male Rufous Hummingbird with flashing gorget come into feeder, twice. Has happened before this time of yr, but not often. More of a fall migrant (late Aug/early Sept) for our river location.