Re: Common Nighthawk

Elizabeth Medes

We, too, have lost our nighthawk population in eastern Emmett.  What were 50 in the evening skies of summer is now 1. They used to sleep during the day in our vineyard rows!  The problem must have commenced when West Nile arrived and mosquito abatement districts sprang up.  Even with our no spray designation, the nighttime insect life is quiet.  Our western kingbird and says phoebe numbers stay steady,  maybe even larger than 20 years ago, but they are mostly daytime feeders.

Someone else mentioned more Bewicks wrens, which we've seen, along with extra YB chats.  And I can't walk 20 ft without seeing a Eurasian collared dove... crikey.

Liz Medes
Gem County