Re: Damp birding

Diann Stone

Tom,

You impressed me with 10 miles and 45 birds (or species?). The farthest I ventured out was to the end of the driveway to retrieve trash bins. I prefer to be a fair weather birder. Sadly, I have not seen any Western Tanagers on my walks between the Boise Depot and Hillcrest. Guess I need to shift to the Greenbelt.

Thanks for putting a name to that "disorder" (BADD). I like to think of it as a more positive trait of heightened auditory and visual awareness. HAVA or BADD, many of us are afflicted.

You'll have continued success meeting your daily goals, because you're out there every day. Keep on keepin' on!

Diann Stone Boise Depot Bench

On Wed, May 20, 2020, 8:51 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

If you live anywhere near Boise, you know that today was a little “damp.” For some reason, I thought maybe the birds would just ignore the rain and parade around for me. As it turns out, I had to repeatedly find dry places (few and far between on the greenbelt) to clean my bino lenses and even my glasses. Eventually the water wore me down and I headed home, but I managed 45 birds in about 10 miles. Highlights included my FOY Willow Flycatcher and FOY MacGillivray’s Warbler. Western Tanagers were EVERYWHERE. My conservative estimate would be 40 to 50 individuals that I actually saw, plus others that I heard.

As some of you are aware, I am afflicted with a condition that is probably familiar to all of you: BADD, better known as “Birders Attention Deficit Disorder.” This is when any motion in the trees, in the sky, on the ground, attracts your undivided attention, even when you’re in the midst of a serious conversation. Because of my BADD, I was constantly swiveling my head today, but only because every leaf in Boise was being hit by water and therefore moving. It was sensory overload. Plus, every swallow in Idaho was flying around my route, overwhelmingly dominated by a gazillion VG Swallows. It was like being inside a snow globe that someone was constantly shaking.

Of course, I can’t wait to get out again tomorrow.

Tom McCabe, Boise

P.S. The various weather reports indicate we set a new record for precipitation for this date in Boise. I believe it!