Another good day

bike4birds

I must admit that I’ve been somewhat envious of the birds that people have been reporting lately, but today’s ride made up for it somewhat. There’s a set of “buggy” trees at Willow Lane athletic complex, and I’ve been finding some interesting birds mixed in with the Cedar Waxwings and the E. Starlings, including Cassin’s Finch,  Bullock’s Oriole, and Cassin’s Vireo. But today was a topper. The waxwings and starlings were there, but they were joined by Lazuli Buntings, and my FOY Western Tanager and Evening Grosbeak. But the real kicker was when I was tracking a bird flying from one tree to another and saw a trio of White Pelicans flying over the river. I’ve only seen White Pelicans a few times in all my bike rides along the river, so, needless to say, I was excited. My final tally was 45 species in 12 miles.