Re: New Yard Bird!! #78

Jon Barnett

Nice Kerry!  My Lazuli Buntings and Cassin’s Finch are like Christmas Tree Ornaments on my dead Atlas tree.  I have around 12 LB and 9 CF, so I understand your excitement!  Black-headed Grosbeaks finally showed up too!  Best, Jonathan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Kerry Fitzharris
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:59 PM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] New Yard Bird!! #78

Always great to see those woodpeckers. I usually find two of them on the road into Montour Campground near Star.

Another sighting that’s exciting: I have 12 lazuli buntings (9 males, 3 females) eating a quail and dove mix on the ground in my backyard right now. Has anyone else seen them moving through like this? Gorgeous.

Kerry

Boise-North End

On May 6, 2020, at 2:56 PM, Janet Phillips <janet.misty11@...> wrote:

I was happy to see your sighting of the Lewis’s Woodpeckers in Horseshoe Bend as I was at Avimor residential development on Highway #55 which is just south of HB 2 days ago and a Lewis’s Woodpecker flew over me.  He was higher than I usually see woodpeckers and I scrambled to get a photo that is blurred but I was sure it was a Lewis’s WP.  Their coloration is hard to mistake!!  I feel validated!!  Thanks

On May 6, 2020, at 2:11 PM, Jon Barnett <jrb4jc@...> wrote:

So amazing – just the other day, I was driving down Porter Creek Rd, thinking how I haven’t seen a Lewis’ Woodpecker for years, whereas they were regularly seen when we first moved up here 20 years ago….they are my favorite western woodpecker…

…fast forward to 30 minutes ago… I was working on my computer and suddenly 2 birds flew into my crabapple tree – couldn’t believe my eyes – 2 Lewis’ Woodpeckers!   First time ever in my yard, so I’m a very happy camper right now…

Best, Jonathan, Horseshoe Bend

(the wind was blowing pretty hard, so it was so difficult to get any good shot…)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

<Lewis Woodpecker pair - May 2020.jpg>