Re: New Yard Bird!! #78

Janet Phillips

I was happy to see your sighting of the Lewis’s Woodpeckers in Horseshoe Bend as I was at Avimor residential development on Highway #55 which is just south of HB 2 days ago and a Lewis’s Woodpecker flew over me.  He was higher than I usually see woodpeckers and I scrambled to get a photo that is blurred but I was sure it was a Lewis’s WP.  Their coloration is hard to mistake!!  I feel validated!!  Thanks

On May 6, 2020, at 2:11 PM, Jon Barnett <jrb4jc@...> wrote:

So amazing – just the other day, I was driving down Porter Creek Rd, thinking how I haven’t seen a Lewis’ Woodpecker for years, whereas they were regularly seen when we first moved up here 20 years ago….they are my favorite western woodpecker…

…fast forward to 30 minutes ago… I was working on my computer and suddenly 2 birds flew into my crabapple tree – couldn’t believe my eyes – 2 Lewis’ Woodpeckers!   First time ever in my yard, so I’m a very happy camper right now…

Best, Jonathan, Horseshoe Bend

(the wind was blowing pretty hard, so it was so difficult to get any good shot…)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

<Lewis Woodpecker pair - May 2020.jpg>