Re: FOY Western Tanager

Jon Barnett

Oh good!  A second one for Idaho, thx! (unless there is no earlier record of a CN, I don’t know).  Well, then a reason #3:  The Western Tanager is more colorful, lol  😊

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Kerry Fitzharris
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 11:46 AM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] FOY Western Tanager

I love the idea of the Western Tanager for our state bird. What about the Clark’s Nutcracker, though,—also a bird discovered in Idaho by Clark?

On May 3, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Jon Barnett <jrb4jc@...> wrote:

My FOY Black-headed Grosbeak hasn’t made an appearance yet – maybe today?  But I was DELIGHTED to wake up to my FOY Western Tanager sitting outside my bedroom window.

Did I ever mention that I believe we should change the State bird for Idaho to the Western Tanager? – for 2 reasons:

  1. Idaho would have it’s own unique State bird – ie., no longer share a State bird with another State, and more importantly…
  2. The Western Tanager is the only bird I know of that is historically noted as DISCOVERED in Idaho – by Lewis & Clark in their expedition.

If I am incorrect, please correct me.  But if this group got behind a drive to change the State bird, could we make it happen?  I don’t know if that is possible, but I’m throwing it out there…  😊

Enjoy this beautiful Spring day!  Jonathan, HSB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10