Townsend's Solitaires - Robin Interaction

lcarrigan_55

I'm curious if anyone has noted an interesting association between
Townsend's Solitaires and American Robins. Our place is along the
Snake River in a riparian area with cottonwood, juniper and Russian
Olive trees. Every winter, there are about 3 or 4 Soltaires that
winter here as well as a handful of Robins. They both utilize the
same foodsource - the berries of both the junipers and Olive trees.

Several winters ago, I noticed that whenever I saw a Solitaire, a
Robin was always in close proximity. They are definitely competitive
for the same foodsource, with the Robin usually, but not always,
succeeding in chasing the Solitaire from its feeding. This
interaction always occurs one-on-one. This winter, I have really
tried to pay special attention to this interaction and without fail,
if I see a Solitaire then a Robin is always close by (like within 15
feet) and vice-versa. Just wondering if anybody else has witnessed
this or has any additional information. Thanks.