Re: Boise CBC preliminary results - a new species record!

Richard and Ann Rusnak

Wonderful CBC Team Boise! Sorry I could not make it, but I plan on attending Nampa CBC, on 21st? Please post details, I am not seeing it on ID Birding FB events page. Im sure it is still starts at Deer Flat H/Q, but what time?
Cheers, happy bird trails, Rich Nampa

Merlin, Nampa 12/12

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 9:32 PM Kerry Fitzharris <birderfitz@...> wrote:
I could add a few more to your Boise count for today (Sat. Dec. 14): 21 Mourning Dove, 1 Cooper’s Hawk, 25 House Finches, 7 Lesser Goldfinch, 1 American Goldfinch, and 1 female Anna’s Hummingbird (all in my backyard on 6th and O”Farrell, if that would help! Also, I saw a Say’s Phoebe at Riverstone International School this afternoon.

Congratulations all on the Count.

On Dec 14, 2019, at 9:11 PM, Jay Carlisle via Groups.Io <carlislejay@...> wrote:

Howdy folks

Quick report after the evening tally - we had a record turnout (guessing it was over 60 participants), including a record amount of effort along the northeastern portion of the count circle in the Boise Foothills, and a great pizza feast afterwards.  Before the big reveal, I will say that our group noticed a lower # of songbirds in several places and I heard comments from several other territories - hopefully just a different winter but ???

With several rarities having been seen over the last week, I had high hopes ... and, even though we missed a few species, we had a great turnout with 108 species (!!; includes 5 species never previously counted on the Boise CBC) on count day plus 3 count week species that were missed today but had been seen since Dec 11.  This sets a new record for the Boise count - and we still have 3 days to add some count week birds.

Some highlights:
  • count firsts:
    • Ruffed Grouse (along Boise Ridge)
    • Pileated Woodpecker (along slope N of Lucky Peak)
    • Ovenbird (now here for 6 weeks)
    • Common Yellowthroat (found a few days ago)
    • Bushtit (Peggy's Trail - was a count week species in same area in 2018)
  • other fun species:
    • Pine Grosbeak (Boise Ridge)
    • Evening Grosbeak (3 different areas, first time in years)
    • Northern Mockingbird (2nd time on Boise CBC)
    • American Tree & Lincoln's Sparrows
    • Barred and Northern Pygmy-owls
    • Say's Phoebe
  • Count week species missed today