Saturday Boreal Owl Near St. Anthony

t8tohs

A Saturday search for a Great Grey at the Sand Creek WMA/Chester Wetlands north of St. Anthony resulted in the biggest surprise of all - a little Boreal Owl. My husband spotted this little guy from 80 yds away with the binoculars. When we got closer I am embarrassed to say that I thought it was a Saw Whet at first, perhaps even a little pygmy owl. When we got home and started looking at the photos we were amazed to find out it was a Boreal. Did not find the great grey, but this little guy well made it up. We also spotted a Downy Woodpecker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t8tohs/8439440147/