Wayan - Rose-breasted Grosbeak and more

Ruth Shea

Rod and I are opening up our cabin in Wayan, near Grays Lake NWR  (6400 feet) and the birds swarmed our feeders immediately.  It has been cool and rainy for the past week.

For much of this  spectacular day we had 8 Lazuli Buntings, 6-10 Black-headed Grosbeaks, 2 male Western Tanagers, and a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak putting on a great show.  Also Goldfinches, Warbling Vireo, and a Western Wood-Pewee.The RBG is outside our window as I type.

A spring migrant  Rose-breasted Grosbeak is usually seen in the valley almost every year, but this is the first one that Rod has seen on our property in 40 years.

Also at least 3 Ruffed Grouse are drumming within hearing distance of our house.

Swans and cranes are nesting.

Cheers,

Ruth Shea and Rod Drewien