Topics

HamFest EmComm Roundtable, Saturday, February 2, 11:00 AM, Waimea Community Center

Ceridwen Sanders

This year’s HamFest in Waimea at the Community Center will include a roundtable discussion, beginning at 11:00AM, of our experiences and concerns relating to EmComm on the Big Island.

Over the last few years we have talked to a number of local hams with widely different experiences, different approaches to EmComm, as well as different issues that they see as important. Most people are not aware of these differences which results in misinformation being communicated relating to ARRL/ARES, BIARC, KHRC, ACS, and HCCDA.

In order to be useful in an emergency, we need to pull together which has been difficult because of the lack of open communication between groups and individuals. As a result, over the past six years we have seen a lot of very intelligent and committed people pulling in random directions and getting nowhere.

We hope that this roundtable conversation will start to address that problem.

We do not intend to come up with solutions today. This is an awareness exercise where hopefully we will all learn something about what isgoingon (or not going on) in Big Island EmComm that we did not know or were confused about. That is an essential first step to better emergency radio here.

In order to achieve that goal this roundtable will be run by the moderator according to the following rules.:

The roundtable will last one hour with the possibility of an extension for added discussion.

Step 1. Statements.
Invited guests and any other ham who has Big Island EmComm-related observations, concerns, or questions can speak. Each speaker will get two minutes to introduce himself (name, callsign, affiliation), make a statement, and then return control to the moderator. The moderator will continue this procedure of two minute statements until everyone in the room who wishes has had a chance to speak.

Step 2. Question and Answer.
The moderator will ask for questions which may be directed at someone in particular or the group as a whole. If the latter, then the moderator will referee who answers (perhaps more than one). Answers will be limited to four minutes to allow for as many questions/answers as possible.

Step 3. Followup.
If there is more time remaining after questions, then people who wish to make additional comments will be asked by the moderator to do so.

Conclusion:

At the conclusion we will discuss how to schedule the best method for continuing conversations to advance EmComm on the Big Island.

Notes of what is said will be taken and distributed on the HiCoARES@groups.io site in order to serve as a beginning of future work on Big Island emergency radio.

Rick AH6RK and Ceri AH6CS