Topics

Close down Hicoares@groups.io #poll

Norm

To be, or not to be; that is the question.
YES means KEEP IT OPEN.
NO means CLOSE IT.

Thank you for voting. Results will be available when the poll is closed.

April K. Lee, Broker, BA, CCIM, ABR, E-Pro

Yes Norm.  We need all the connection we can get!

April K. Lee, Broker RB-19294, BA, CCIM, ABR, E-Pro
Kohala Real Estate & 2nd Home Services
In beautiful Hawi, Hawai’i
Cell: 808-989-5995

On Mar 30, 2020, at 4:34 PM, Norm <nh7ua@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

To be, or not to be; that is the question.
YES means KEEP IT OPEN.
NO means CLOSE IT.

1. YES
2. NO

Vote Now

--
Aloha, Norm, NH7UA

Terence Dowling

I have a different take on this:

More is better if the "more" has different failure modes and different availability.
So pathways that use HF, VHF, UHF, internet all add to connectivity and provide
alternate paths in an emergency.

khrc@groups.io and HiCoAres@groups.io have the same failure exposure
(internet down or groups.io down or your email gateway down) and only
add to the multiplicity of places you are expected to look in an emergency.

While there is some concern that a subset of folks have an issue with excessive
or off-topic traffic, the traffic load for these groups have been low and reasonable
free of non-useful information.

My vote is toward consolidation rather than specialized communication paths
that are exercised so infrequently that they atrophy from lack of use.

I'm OK with either outcome.

Aloha and 73
Terry KH6L
Sheltering-in-place in San Jose, CA

On 3/31/2020 12:55, April K. Lee, Broker, BA, CCIM, ABR, E-Pro wrote:
Yes Norm.  We need all the connection we can get!

April K. Lee, Broker RB-19294, BA, CCIM, ABR, E-Pro
Kohala Real Estate & 2nd Home Services
In beautiful Hawi, Hawai’i
Cell: 808-989-5995

On Mar 30, 2020, at 4:34 PM, Norm <nh7ua@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

To be, or not to be; that is the question.
YES means KEEP IT OPEN.
NO means CLOSE IT.

1. YES
2. NO

Vote Now

--
Aloha, Norm, NH7UA

Steve Doyle

As KHRC Secretary I am for whatever helps people find the relevant information that they are interested in  and keeps things focused --

I am for closing the HiCoARES group IF:
To reduce cyber clutter, Hawaii County doesn't need a separate ARES platform with it's own files and events, if there is a lack of people to maintain it, if it is simply becoming a duplicate bin for all the same reminders and the old irrelevant messages that are not being cleaned up.

I am for keeping the group IF:
ARES still wants a place for files and events for those who follow ARES in Hawaii County in addition to the State wide ARES web page ( http://hawaiiares.info/ ), if people find it a way to self organize and identify with those interests.

ARES info and messages could be placed in KHRC.  Or a subgroup created if someone has the interest and time.  I don't think KHRC represents the whole island however nor should it.

Leslie Hittner

I thought HZiCoAres was a good idea. I have always looked at the BigIsland listserve as the club email listserve for KHRC, or whatever - kinda like BIARC's listserve - only it is attempting to aim at an island wide target - at least based upon its name.

Whether ARES wants to keep its listserve should be their decision - and their decision only.

Again - why can't we just all work together to resolve our differences? Why must there be this apparent "competition"?

Let both services sit there. Give people a choice. Cyber clutter doesn't seem to be an issue.

-Les

On Apr 2, 2020, at 07:57, Steve Doyle <wh7tw@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Sugg

I would like to request that we keep the HiCoARES group, since there is no other reflector specifically designated for ARES and ARRL activity.

The KHRC group is specific to that club, and the BigIslandRADIO group is designated as not for messages related to ARES or ARRL.

So, for ARES activity that is island wide, I think we need a group for that.

73,
Jim Sugg
AH6AE

On Apr 2, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Leslie Hittner <lhittner@...> wrote:

[...]

joe Tabrah

I have not discussed this with KH7HO or AH0A, but my take is that we should keep the group open.  It was very handy to use, and in fact was established, to coordinate plans for the 2019 SET on the big island.  We will be shortly starting the planning process for the 2020 set.  Also, there is no downside or cost for keeping it active.
Aloha,
Joe
KH6FHI