Topics

Today's Meeting

Lucinda Shastid

Carol came with Dinah: Carol knitted on a sweater for her granddaughter, and Dinah chewed a pig's ear.

Helen worked on her needlepoint stocking.

Catherine continued with the unspun Icelandic shawl/cowl from last time.

MaryJo (a newcomer) spindled and then crocheted.  She was working on a lovely crocheted shawl - many different colors and textures of yarn, and many different stitches.

Shelley was knitting a mindless shawl (and enjoying it - that's not an insult).

Lucinda spun on her miniSpinner.

The conversation included dogs and dog breeds; hearing and aids to hearing; elderly parents, etc.  Very much "etc." as always.

Carol Fessler

Because we talked about it, I looked up the AKC breed standards for toy, miniature and standard Poodles and as Lucinda said, the only difference among the three types is size - so apparently a miniature parent can produce a toy offspring and the toy would be registrable with the AKC (if anyone cared enough to do it.)

The moyen is just a small-ish standard and is not recognized by the AKC as a different type of poodle.  For those who know my Poodle Lucy, she is 23.5", a tall-ish standard.

Size, Proportion, SubstanceSize The Standard Poodle is over 15 inches at the highest point of the shoulders. Any Poodle which is 15 inches or less in height shall be disqualified from competition as a Standard Poodle.
The Miniature Poodle is 15 inches or under at the highest point of the shoulders, with a minimum height in excess of 10 inches. Any Poodle which is over 15 inches or is 10 inches or less at the highest point of the shoulders shall be disqualified from competition as a Miniature Poodle.

The Toy Poodle is 10 inches or under at the highest point of the shoulders. Any Poodle which is more than 10 inches at the highest point of the shoulders shall be disqualified from competition as a Toy Poodle.

So there you have it!

Carol

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM Lucinda Shastid <jzygala@...> wrote:

Carol came with Dinah: Carol knitted on a sweater for her granddaughter, and Dinah chewed a pig's ear.

Helen worked on her needlepoint stocking.

Catherine continued with the unspun Icelandic shawl/cowl from last time.

MaryJo (a newcomer) spindled and then crocheted.  She was working on a lovely crocheted shawl - many different colors and textures of yarn, and many different stitches.

Shelley was knitting a mindless shawl (and enjoying it - that's not an insult).

Lucinda spun on her miniSpinner.

The conversation included dogs and dog breeds; hearing and aids to hearing; elderly parents, etc.  Very much "etc." as always.

Carol Fessler

Also, can we clarify that Dinah is my standard Poodle puppy, NOT my granddaughter!

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM Carol Fessler <carol.fessler@...> wrote:
[...]

And there also is a king/imperial/something poodle, which is the super-sized model.  Also non-AKC and non-showable.

Oh - I just finished reading your message, Carol - I thought there was an upper height limit for the standard - maybe they've changed the AKC standard?

My, but we have wide-ranging conversations!

Lucinda

On 2/16/2019 4:33 PM, Carol Fessler wrote:
[...]

Jane Daniels

Those conversations are what make this group fun.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019, 3:29 PM Lucinda Shastid <jzygala@... wrote:

[...]

No, no one thinks Dinah is your granddaughter - I carefully wrote, "Dinah chewed a pig's ear"!

[...]

Absolutely agree!

Lucinda