Topics

Stitch Dictionaries?

Lucinda Shastid

Charlene wants to ask her family for a stitch dictionary for Christmas - what do you think is the best one? and why?  (We also talked about graphs vs written directions during the meeting.)

Lucinda

Shelley Reid

I don’t know which one I consider the best, but here’s an overview of the field. Not exhaustive b/c the Japanese stitch dictionary isn’t listed.

Shelley

On Nov 16, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Lucinda Shastid <jzygala@...> wrote:

Charlene wants to ask her family for a stitch dictionary for Christmas - what do you think is the best one? and why?  (We also talked about graphs vs written directions during the meeting.)

Add to the site that Shelley recommended.  Borrow some of the titles from your library. That way you can see if you like one book over another.
The New Knitting Stitch Library  - Lesley Stanfield
Kaffe Fassett's Pattern LIbrary - primarily color patterns, but could be converted to knit purl patterns
Sequence Knitting -
Mon Tricot 900 Stitch Patterns (mentioned as hard to find). It is a paperback and therefore quite portable
Knit Stitch Guide - Rita Weiss  - small and compact

Nicki Epstein has several books on edging -

I recommend any of Ann Budd's books on knitting. Take one of her basic patterns based on calculations and add a pattern to it. All are published by Interweave Press.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM Shelley Reid via Groups.Io <shelweb=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don’t know which one I consider the best, but here’s an overview of the field. Not exhaustive b/c the Japanese stitch dictionary isn’t listed.

Shelley

On Nov 16, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Lucinda Shastid <jzygala@...> wrote:

Charlene wants to ask her family for a stitch dictionary for Christmas - what do you think is the best one? and why?  (We also talked about graphs vs written directions during the meeting.)

(h) 914-245-1250 (c) 914-471-5545 jdhikes@...

Life is better when you go outdoors!

Catherine C.

Thank you for posting this questions and for the input/answers. I will be using this info!

Catherine