Topics

February Spin/Knit In

"hayslope" <hayslope@...>

Finally I get to sit down. It was our family birthday week, mine my
fathers and my sisters, and I've been finishing off gifts and shopping
and cooking for a week! Our Spin/Knit In was fabulous!!! We had a nice
sized group. Pat showed us her sweater that she spun and dyed the wool
for. It was one of the most awesome sweaters I've ever seen. I wish I
had taken a photo so we could have posted it. Maybe next time if we
can get her to bring it again. Edie was plying yarn expertly spun on
her drop spindle. Tony worked on her spinning and socks knit with Opal
Elements yarn. Tony also turned me on to a new toe method, Judy's
magic cast on for toe up socks. It looks to be even better than the
figure 8 cast on I've been doing. Ivy and Jenny absconded with the
lama pelts that Andrea gave the group. Can't wait to see what they do
with them. We missed Lucinda who stayed home due to a bad cold.
Just got back from Trader Joe's. Whew!
If anyone would like to learn to knit two toe up socks at once I will
show you how at the next Spin In. Just bring your sock yarn and #2 47
inch circular needles. If you have a scale and a ball winder starting
with the outside end of skein wind half into a ball and then starting
with the end of the yarn coming from the center of the skein wind the
other half into a ball. Leave them attached and put a rubber band
around them to hold them to each other.
We will also organize a beginners spinning lesson for those interested.
So all in all it was a cosy little Spin In and we look forward to
seeing those we missed next time!

Teresa

"Joe Zygala and Lucinda Shastid" <jzygala@...>

I missed all of you, too! But I had a rotten cold and even if I could have
found the energy to drive there, ... the moment I walked in the door and
started coughing, you would all have walked out. Since a "meeting" of one
wouldn't have worked very well, it's just as well that I let everyone else
meet instead.

Pat, Teresa told me about your sweater - yes, please, do bring it next
time!

Happy birthday, Teresa - you should have told us in advance so we could all
have given you birthday wishes.

And ... if by any chance March is being lamb-like next month, we might be
able to sit outside on the porch and spin!!

Have fun till then,

Lucinda

Pat Slaven <pat.slaven@...>

A photo of me & the sara swett (knitting in America) 'Kesterals Alight" sweater is attached.
thanks for organizing this, is march 21 the next meeting?

--
Nothing happens unless first a dream - Carl Sandburg

Pat Slaven

Pat Slaven <pat.slaven@...>

I figured out how to up load a photo!!

[...]

Hayslope <hayslope@...>

I just saw! I was going to put it on the photo page and there it was!

You are the cutest ever. I want that sweater!

Yes, or next meeting is on March 21. Will you bring your sweater again
so Lucinda can see it?

wrote:

[...]

Make one!

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Hayslope <hayslope@...> wrote:
[...]

Maybe after your dying workshop! I've never dyed anything.

wrote:

[...]

Irene Marks <imchanging@...>

Hi Teresa
I am so glad I was able to make it to the spin and knit. I had a great time. WIth Pat's help, I was able to learn a great stitch to finish up my first sweater. I look forward to next month.
Take care
Irene

Toni <tonisemail@...>

Hey, Teresa - I had a great time on Saturday - can't wait 'til the next meeting!

I checked my notes, and the cast-on I use for toe-up socks is the turkish cast-on, found
here: http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html

It's very easy, and makes a nice, neat toe.

Toni

hayslope wrote:

[...]

Hi Irene,

It was a good time wasn't it! It feels more and more cosy each time we
do it. I get inspired every time.

Teresa

On Monday, February 23, 2009, at 06:12 PM, Irene Marks wrote:

Hi Teresa
I am so glad I was able to make it to the spin and knit. I had a
great time. WIth Pat's help, I was able to learn a great stitch to
finish up my first sweater. I look forward to next month.
Take care
Irene

Hayslope <hayslope@...>

Thanks Toni! - I can't wait to try it. I just finished the pair of
Noro Socks I was working on at the meeting. I think I will dive into my
Opal stash and try your cast on Tomorrow. WooHoo! Way too exciting.

How was your first day on the job?

Teresa

hayslope wrote:

[...]

Toni,
You are my hero!!! I love this cast on method. First of all it is
faster and easier than the figure 8 cast on and then you don't have to
tighten it up! After my grandmothers engagement ring that my mom gave
me for my birthday this was the best gift I got! Thank you!!!
Teresa

hayslope wrote:

[...]

Hi Toni
I'm only on my second pair of socks, but now I can't wait to try this toe-up method. Thanks for the link, so easy to follow.
Irene

Toni <tonisemail@...>

I'm glad you like it, Teresa! The first time I tried toe-up socks, I tried the figure 8, but I just couldn't get it to tighten, no matter how many times I tried. Then I found this, and it was so easy!

Toni

http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html <http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html>

hayslope wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you like it, Irene! Let us know how it works for you.

Toni