Topics

Connecticut Sheep & Wool

"Joe Zygala and Lucinda Shastid" <jzygala@...>

Several people asked what is a good fiber to start on. The usual answers
are Romney and Corriedale.

And where do you get them? Fiber festivals and catalogs.

For festivals, if you don't want to wait until October (and who does?),
there is the Connecticut Sheep & Wool Festival, which starts the spring
fiber festival season. It will be on Saturday, April 25, in
Vernon/Rockville CT. http://www.ctsheep.org/wool.htm It's about 10 miles
beyond Hartford. It is smaller than Rhinebeck and you can move easily and
see everything, and talk to the vendors. There is a spin-in all day, and a
fleece sale all day.

The other place to get fiber is on-line. There are many, many vendors on
eBay and Etsy. The Yahoo groups Spin-List and Spindlers have files where
people have listed vendors they've had good results from.

If you prefer a catalog/brick-and-mortar store, I've had good luck with Yarn
Barn of Kansas (www.yarnbarn-ks.com), Little Barn Inc. (www.littlebarninc.),
The Woolery (www.woolery.com), Woodland Woolworks (www.woolworks.com),
Halcyon Yarn (www.halcyonyarn.com), among many others.

Hey - I'm monopolizing the list. Write back, someone!

Lucinda
Lower NY, where it meets Connecticut

Hayslope <hayslope@...>

There is a place to get fiber less than an hour up the Taconic. I got the best BFL there. They are the Hudson Valley Sheep & Wool Co. find them @ - http://www.hudsonvalleysheepandwoolco.com/

I will check with Shirley Bianco of Hudson Valley Wool Works to see if she has fiber for spinning. she is in Bedford near Martha Stewart's house. I know she has yarn. http://www.hudsonvalleywool.com/. She may be up for getting some of her wool processed into roving with a growing spinning group near by.

My friend Annie has organic shetland sheep in CT and once she shears for the spring we can get roving from her. I will talk to her about bringing some to a meeting.

I can't wait for the CT Sheep & Wool!

I will talk to the powers that be at the farm to get us into a larger space. The options are to put lighting into the larger room in the building we meet in or to go to the horse barn. I will keep y'all posted.

Thanks for a great meeting!!!

Teresa

On Sunday, March 22, 2009, at 08:36 AM, Joe Zygala and Lucinda Shastid wrote:

[...]

judiknit <judiknit@...>

I second your thoughts about what a great group this is. The enthusiasm and kindness is contagious. I am looking forward to having more space and getting outside. Keep practicing all you beginners and bring your stuff to the next meeting. If you haven't been told yet, that beginning yarn may turn out to be your pride and joy for a long, long time. Lots of beginners spin bulky yarn to begin with and then it takes years to figure out how to do that again. Just have fun.
judi
PS If we are going to start a list of vendors I would put Still River Mill on the list. they are small and do wonderful dyeing and processing. They will for sure be at the CT sheep and wool festival.

On Mar 22, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Joe Zygala and Lucinda Shastid wrote:

[...]

Yes, I saw you drop in (and quickly out again), Judi!

It's fun with so many people, but I hope we'll be able to move outside or to
a larger space soon!