Topics

Cell phones

judiknit <judiknit@...>

Hi guys!
I really need to get with this cell phone thing and DH has agreed. Just tell me which provider I should (or maybe more importantly shouldn't use). It will just be to carry for emergencies and the occasional call.

All advice appreciated!

Thanks,
judi

Hayslope <hayslope@...>

Hi Judy,

We have Verison. I don't know why, my DH picked it. I have no
complaints. Mine was has always been the only cell phone that works at
our camp in Maine. Never have dropped calls. I leave it on all of the
time and the battery lasts a long time. I rarely use it but it is on.
The service people they have in their stores are awful. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Teresa

On Monday, December 7, 2009, at 01:10 PM, judiknit wrote:

Hi guys!
I really need to get with this cell phone thing and DH has agreed.
Just tell me which provider I should (or maybe more importantly
shouldn't use). It will just be to carry for emergencies and the
occasional call.

All advice appreciated!

Thanks,
judi

"To ... not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared
beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of virtues." - Sun Tzu

Joe Zygala and Lucinda Shastid <jzygala@...>

Hi, judi. We find the cheapest thing for us is Net10, which is almost identical to TracPhone, at $15 a month with a free phone.

You must buy $15 of minutes per month to keep your account active, and you can carry your unused minutes forward to the enxt month. $15 is 150 minutes.

$15 a month is cheaper than anything else I've found, and they have an excellent network. (We travel around the country a lot in our RV. We use the phone a little while we're home, and then use all the minutes while we're traveling instead.)

We bought our phone for $30 with two months of service and 300 minutes included, which is just like a free phone and paying for two months of service.

There are a number of cell phones that use the Net10 system - go to any of the big box stores and you'll find them. I know that both Target and Wal-Mart sell them.