Re: OT - Tracking your location by cell phone

I saw this today…very scary.  But I think we kind of knew this was happening…
Also, I watched ‘The Circle’ this weekend with Tom Hanks….also pretty scary!

Susan Ryhanen

Soapmaker/Wholesale Coordinator

S  A  I  P  U  A

p: 914.528.4859

f:  914.528.2813

e: susan@...

w: www.saipua.com

The Farm | Blog | Instagram

On Dec 10, 2018, at 8:31 AM, Lucinda Shastid <jzygala@...> wrote:

If you are concerned, here's more to worry you, from Lucinda.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/10/business/location-data-privacy-apps.html

Here's the first few paragraphs:

The millions of dots on the map trace highways, side streets and bike trails — each one following the path of an anonymous cellphone user.

One path tracks someone from a home outside Newark to a nearby Planned Parenthood, remaining there for more than an hour. Another represents a person who travels with the mayor of New York during the day and returns to Long Island at night.

Yet another leaves a house in upstate New York at 7 a.m. and travels to a middle school 14 miles away, staying until late afternoon each school day. Only one person makes that trip: Lisa Magrin, a 46-year-old math teacher. Her smartphone goes with her.

An app on the device gathered her location information, which was then sold without her knowledge. It recorded her whereabouts as often as every two seconds, according to a database of more than a million phones in the New York area that was reviewed by The New York Times. While Ms. Magrin’s identity was not disclosed in those records, The Times was able to easily connect her to that dot.

I'd been considering a smart phone - it sure would be handy - but I don't want the world to know my business.  Yes, someone would have to care enough about me to track it, but I still don't want a smart phone.

The Times also has an article about changing settings so you can't be tracked.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/technology/prevent-location-data-sharing.html?action=click&module=Intentional&pgtype=Article