Topics

Handiham World for August 24, 2020

Handiham Program

Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of August 24, 2020

This is a free weekly news & information update from the Courage Kenny Handiham Program, serving people with disabilities in Amateur Radio since 1967.

Our contact information is at the end.

Listen here:
https://handiham.org/audio/handiham24AUG2020.mp3

Get this podcast in iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/handiham-world/id1457854439?mt=2&app=podcast

https://handiham.org/wordpress1/feed/podcast/

Subscribe or change your subscription to the E-mail version here.

Welcome to Handiham World.

In this edition:

  • A note from the coordinator
  • News in Assistive Technology
  • From the Mailbag
  • Interview of the Week
  • Ham Radio in the News
  • A Dip in the Pool
  • Website Update
  • Equipment Connection
  • Help Needed
  • Check into our nets!
  • …And more!

A note from the coordinator…

The Handiham Radio Club is getting more radio-active! If you have not yet joined the club, please send an email to Pemdy to let her know you want in. The only membership requirement is that you are a current member of the Handiham Program. The next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 1st, at 5:30pm Pacific, 6:30pm Mountain, 7:30pm Central, and 8:30pm Eastern, on Zoom. You can access the meeting via your telephone or computer. The meeting invite will be sent via the new Handiham Radio Club email list.

Thanks to the success of the 2020 Virtual Get on the Air class, we are already working on plans for the next Get on the Air session, likely in January of 2021. If you want to be placed on the list to receive an application, please contact Pemdy.

Screenshot from 2020 Virtual GOTA Class with N3FJP logging software in use and photos and names from Zoom attendees.

The Handiham World E-letter list along with Handiham Notify and the Handiham Radio Club lists are moving to Groups.io. Please keep watching for invitations to the new lists. All you have to do to subscribe is hit reply and send. You don’t have to type anything additional in the email to be subscribed to the new lists. Please note, while Handiham World is available to everyone, only current members of the Handiham Program are eligible to join Handiham Notify and the Handiham Radio Club lists. We are looking forward to the improved accessibility with Groups.io.

As we adjust to the changing times, we are offering new classes for Handiham Members, including a weekly Morse code class beginning on September 28th. Class sessions will use Zoom and will be available via the internet or telephone. Each session will also be recorded, so participants will have access to any sessions that cannot be attended live. If you are interested in attending, please ask Pemdy to send you an application.

Photo of green road sign with the word change printed on it.

Due to the spread of COVID-19, we are not working from the office right now. We are still able to check our phone messages and return phone calls, and mail will be picked up as often as possible. Of course, the best way to get in touch with us during this time is via email.

Photo of 2 meter wavelength as guide to social distancing.

Along with the release of the new On the Air magazine, the magazine for beginner-to-intermediate ham radio operators, the ARRL is also doing a monthly podcast to take a deeper look at some of the topics and projects included in the magazine. The latest episode of the On the Air podcast (Episode 8) has more information about the ARRL Collegiate Amateur Radio Initiative, which is not just for college students. You can check it out at http://www.arrl.org/on-the-air-podcast.

If you are having trouble receiving your E-Letter, you can always go to https://handiham.org/wordpress1/weekly-e-letter/ to see the latest E-Letter. Additionally, you can go to https://handiham.org/audio/handiham.mp3 to listen to the current podcast. These links are updated each time a new E-Letter and podcast is released.

Pemdy and I will be working during our usual hours this week. Due to the class next week, however, I will be unavailable for routine requests. If you call the Handiham Program office, please leave a message, and we will return your call as soon as we are available. When you leave that message, don’t forget to leave your name, phone number, call sign, if you have one, and the reason for your call. Also, if you send an email, please include your name along with your call sign, and the reason for your email to speed up the response time. As always, if you need to update anything like your contact information, call sign, license class, membership, or members only log-in information, you can email us at handiham@....

In the E-Letter, there is an article about the new OrCam MyEye Pro, another article about the Hurricane Watch Net activation, and a new interview with another of the participants from the recent virtual Get on the Air class. Of course, you can also find the regular articles you see here each week.

Do you have a story to share about assistive technology or ham radio related activities? Please send your articles and stories via email to Lucinda.Moody@... or by calling me at 612-775-2290.

News in Assistive Technology

OrCam MyEye Pro

Photo of OrCam MyEye Pro, an assistive technology device that attaches to glasses for people who are blind or low vision.

The new OrCam MyEye Pro is a revolutionary voice activated device that attaches to virtually any glasses. It can instantly read text from a book, smartphone screen, or any other surface, recognize faces, help you shop on your own, work more efficiently, and live a more independent life. Features include color and object identification, barcode scanning, facial recognition, smart reading, orientation, and a new companion app. The OrCam MyEye Pro conveys visual information audibly, in real-time and offline. To read more, check out the website at: https://www.orcam.com/en/myeye2/

To watch a video review about the OrCam MyEye Pro from Sam at The Blind Life, go to: https://youtu.be/tqAN6hlnn4I

From the Mailbag

Photo of mail carrier with mail bag and letter.

Hi Everyone,

I think this new Handiham Radio Club email list is a fantastic idea. This is a place where we can post new ideas. If we have questions about a problem with ham radio equipment or questions about Echolink, we can ask them there. Maybe there is some new equipment you would like to tell everyone about. This is the place to do that.

I really enjoy the radio club, and I think adding this will be really helpful for all Handiham members. Also, it is a great way to keep in touch with one another. I am looking forward to getting more involved with it.

I also want to extend a special invitation to those who have never been to a Handiham Radio Club meeting. Please join us next Tuesday, September 1st, for the next meeting.

73,

Linda Reeder, N7HVF
Handiham Radio Club President

Interview of the Week

This week, we get to hear from Austin, KA3TTT. Austin was one of the participants in our recent virtual Get on the Air class and has found ways to keep active in the hobby, even though he lives in an apartment. Please join us for the first part of his interview.

Photo of arm in suit jacket with hand holding a large communications microphone.

LM: Hi Austin, how are you?

AS: All right.

LM: So, how did you originally get into ham radio?

AS: It started—honestly, one of my earliest memories is playing with a radio. I remember, I must have been around one year old or so. I remember hitting it, and it made this squealing sound. And it had buttons and knobs, and it really intrigued me. I remember being worried about getting in trouble, but I also thought it was really cool. So, I started playing with radios when I was young. And I was around them a lot when I was a kid.

LM: Yes.

AS: Then I remember my parents took me to the Franklin Institute here in Philadelphia. I would have been seven or eight years old. The Franklin Institute Science Museum here in Philly is a famous one, and at the time, they had a ham radio room. Unfortunately, they don’t now. I wish they could bring it back. But at the time, they did, and this would have been in the mid-80s.

AS: So, we went to the ham radio room, and that was just it. I was just hooked. I remember turning the big knobs, the VFO. I remember the iambic code keyer that just fascinated me. I remember on the trip home asking my Mom and Dad to please get me a ham radio. That’s what I want. Please get me a ham radio. And they said okay, you have to take your test and get a license. And I said, okay, that’s fine. You know, when you’re a kid, you’re always having to take tests, so you know, whatever.

AS: So, when I was ten, I started studying. Oh, my Granddad, who is no longer with us, flew sea planes in World War II in the Navy. And he made a Morse code chart, and my Mom—she was always doing these kinds of things for me—she made it on poster board with Elmer’s glue, so I could feel it. And I put it up over my bed, and that’s how I would go to sleep at night, I would just read the Morse code chart. That’s how I would go to sleep at night when I was a little kid.

LM: That’s great!

AS: Yeah! So, I started really studying when I was ten. I remember they had these tapes called Tune in the World. I don’t know if you remember that.

LM: Oh, yeah.

AS: Yeah, you remember them. I think they might have been through ARRL.

LM: Yep.

AS: I was a kid. I don’t know. I just know I ended up with them somehow. But I loved those, and I listened to those constantly. And I took my test when I was twelve, my Novice. And I passed my Novice. Then, I discovered Handiham at some point. I think someone else in the radio club that I was a member of may have also been a member. I guess that’s how it worked, looking back now. It must have been, because we went to one of the radio camps together. I went to the first radio camp—I went to one in California. And my family was going on vacation also, so we all made it work. But I didn’t pass. I was going for Tech, but I failed my Tech the first time.

AS: It’s funny, the clearest memory I have of the California, I guess it was the Malibu radio camp, was at some point they were having a meeting where they were discussing some more administrative stuff. And they were saying, we need to figure out why more Californians aren’t coming to California Radio Camp. And an older woman piped up, because we don’t listen to the part that says sunny. That’s my clearest memory, that and failing the Tech exam. But that’s how it goes. And I roomed with my buddy, Tom, N4TMD, and I’m getting him back into the hobby, so that’s good.

AS: Then, in Minnesota, I went back to another radio camp. I think we landed in Bemidji? I remember taking this harrowing plane flight, and it scared me so much. I was a little kid, and that plane flight kind of scared me. And it was cold too, like you guys get real cold there.

LM: Yeah, we do.

AS: So, there was that going on, so there was no fun in the sun. Although we did have fun. I remember we went to the Mississippi River, and we took that boat around. But it was down to business, and I passed my Tech and my General and my Extra Class code.

LM: Wow!

AS: So, I made up for chillin’ in California in Minnesota. And it was a great time, so I have good memories of Radio Camp when I went as a kid. And then I got out of the hobby when I went off to college. Some people were kind of mean to me locally, and that can happen, unfortunately, when you’re a kid.

LM: Yeah.

AS: So, I went off to college, and stuff happens. So, I got out of the hobby, and I wish I wouldn’t have, but that’s how life goes. And I think a lot of hams seem to follow this trajectory. I’ve been hearing that. And they get back into it later in life.

LM: Yep.

AS: And for me, what happened was that I started getting headaches and severe eye pain and having to deal with chronic pain and going on this whole healing journey and really getting back to my life purpose and figuring out exactly what that was and rebuilding myself because I crashed. And I realized at some point while going through this whole journey, I had to get my hobby back. And I realized that was one of the things that I had lost, and that was one of the reasons that I had burned out, because I didn’t have a hobby. I just kept working and burned out. I said, I’ve got to get my hobby back. I’ve got to get back into ham radio.

AS: But now the challenges. At the time, of course, I lived in the suburbs, so I could put an antenna up in trees and such. I had a doublet up in beautiful trees. I lived in Swarthmore, which won one of the TreeTown USA awards. They’re very proud of their trees in Swarthmore, and rightly so. And here I live in an apartment now because I wasn’t even thinking of ham radio. I probably wouldn’t have picked this place if I was because they don’t allow outdoor antennas. But I already lived here, so that’s how it went.

AS: So, I was like, whatever, I’m getting back on the air. So, I got a Kenwood TH-D74a. That’s a good talking HT for the blind. I got a better antenna. I got a J-pole, and I started checking into a local net. And I started listening a lot more. I noticed as an adult that I listen a lot more. So, I started checking into a net, and I joined a local club, the Holmesburg Amateur Radio Club, who are really awesome, great club. They do the WM3PEN event every year with the 13 Colonies. You might know them from that.

LM: Yep. I’ve worked it before.

AS: Yeah. Good. That’s them. I would have been on the other end, but we’ll get to that. Anyways, so I joined them, and I realized I wanted to get back on HF, really, because I just had so much fun on HF as a kid. There’s something about the sounds, on VHF and UHF too, but there’s something about the sounds, especially HF. I don’t know—there’s something about the sounds, the atmosphere, radio. There’s something about it that’s just always soothed me.

AS: So, I did a lot of research, and I put together a station. I have an Elecraft KX3, a wonderful QRP radio, and I have an Alpha Loop, a magnetic loop antenna, and that’s my main HF antenna. I’ve got a few loaded whips. I can also go up to the roof deck of my building, so sometimes I can go up there. So, I’m back on 80 through 10 meters, 2 and 440. I still have to get 6. Once I get 6, I’ll be all bands, so I’m really happy. I just got back on 80 meters, which I’m super happy about. Yeah, I’m back, and I super happy about it, even from my apartment and even with all the challenges and the high noise and all the issues and the RFI and all that. It’s all worth it. It’s part of the challenge. No matter where you are, you’ll have challenges.

LM: It’s part of the fun of being a ham, the fact that you can do more than just plug and play.

AS: No. You’re right, and one of the hams from my local club said that too. He said, if it were easy, it wouldn’t be fun. I said, you know, you’re absolutely right about that. Oh, and let’s not forget the low solar conditions as well.

LM: Yeah, this cycle has left a lot to be desired.

AS: Yeah, this is when I’m getting into it. But I thought it was cool. I’m glad I’m getting into it at the worst possible time. It’s like buying a house in the rain. If I build my station now, I know what it’s capable of.

LM: That’s it!

Stay tuned for the next part of our interview with Austin airing next week.

Ham Radio in the News

Hurricane Watch Net Activated for Marco and Laura

Photo of HWN logo.

The Hurricane Watch Net (HWN) activated for Hurricane Marco on Sunday. Marco is forecast to make landfall on Monday afternoon. According to Bobby Graves, KB5HAV, HWN Manager, this activation will line up reporting stations for both Marco and Laura, which is expected to impact this same region later in the week. According to Jim Coleman, AI5B, Louisiana Section Emergency Coordinator, Louisiana ARES is on alert status in preparation for the storms. Additionally, emergency communications kits from ARRL Headquarters have been staged in Louisiana to be ready for use. To learn more, go to: http://www.arrl.org/news/hurricane-watch-net-to-activate-as-louisiana-braces-for-marco-and-laura

A Dip in the Pool
drawing of person studying

It’s time to test our knowledge by taking a dip in the question pool…

Let’s go to the Technician Class pool this week to a question about meteor scatter.

T3C07 What band is best suited for communicating via meteor scatter?

A. 10 meter band.
B. 6 meter band.
C. 2 meter band.
D. 70 centimeter band.

For ham radio operators, meteor showers are more than just a pretty sight. Radio waves can be bounced off a meteor trail leading to some interesting contacts. The best band for working meteor scatter is 6 meters, making answer B the correct choice. Of course, it’s a good idea to pay attention to when meteor showers are expected to know when to look for this weak signal propagation.

Website Update

Photo of the words website update with construction equipment working on the letters.

Here are the latest updates on the new Handiham.org website. Don’t forget to monitor the site for updates throughout the week. When changes are made, I will post to the website. You can also find the latest updates any time by going to https://handiham.org/wordpress1/website-updates/. If you have any feedback about the website, I would love to hear from you. If you are a current member and your credentials are not allowing you to login to the site, please contact Pemdy for assistance at handiham@... or 612-775-2291.

Equipment Connection

Photo of Icom IC-7200 with LDG auto-tuner and power supply.

Equipment connections are happening, and the list is open! If you have a request for the Equipment Connection, contact me, leaving your name and phone number. I will call you to discuss your request. Please note that it may take several days for a return call due to all the other things going on in the Handiham Program. If you don’t hear back from me after two weeks, you may contact me a second time. Additionally, if you have received any equipment from the Handiham Program during the last 12 months, you will automatically be placed at the bottom of the list so that others can also participate in the Equipment Connection.

Many thanks to the numerous people who have offered equipment for Handiham Members. If you have equipment that you would like to donate to a Handiham Program member, please email Lucinda at Lucinda.Moody@... or call 1-612-775-2290.

Help Needed

Photo of note with the words help needed written on it.

The Handiham Program needs contributors to Handiham World. Do you have a particular interest in amateur radio that you would like to share with others? Maybe you have a particular mode or band you like to operate and have learned a lot about. Or maybe you have some great stories to share from your experiences in the amateur radio hobby. Put your writing skills to work for Handiham World by sending your submissions to Lucinda.Moody@....

We are always looking for more readers, including some with a background in teaching in STEM related fields, especially if you have also worked with students requiring accommodations. We also need some readers with a background in teaching in STEM related fields, especially if you have also worked with students requiring accommodations. This volunteer position requires you to use your own equipment to record, however, we will provide the reading materials. If you or someone you know would like to try reading material for the members only section, please contact me for more information on how to submit a demo recording.

We need help updating our available resources for members. If you are blind and enjoy using your ham radio or assistive technology related devices, your assistance is especially needed. It would be a big help to your fellow Handiham Members if you would record a tutorial or product review. These need to be sent in Mp3 format, and the Handiham Program reserves the right to edit the recordings as needed before publishing in the Members Only section of the Handiham.org website. Please contact me at Lucinda.Moody@... or 612-775-2290 if you have any questions.

I want to say a big thank you to those who have made or volunteered to make tutorials for the Members Only portion of the website. We have already had a number of members step up to offer their services, and their help is greatly appreciated! We also have some new readers who are working on some books, so keep watching for website updates as we add more content.

Check into our Handiham nets… Everyone is welcome!

How to find the Handiham Net:

  • The Handiham EchoLink conference is 494492. Connect via your iPhone, Android phone, PC, or on a connected simplex node or repeater system in your area.
  • The Handiham DMR Talkgroup on Brandmeister is 31990. On AllStar, it is available at node 47367.
  • The Handiham Net will be on the air daily. If there is no net control station on any scheduled net day, we will have a roundtable on the air get-together.

Cartoon multicolored stickman family holding hands, one wheelchair user among them.

Our daily Echolink net continues to operate for anyone and everyone who wishes to participate at 11:00 hours CDT (Noon Eastern and 09:00 Pacific), as well as Wednesday evenings at 19:00 hours CDT (7 PM). If you calculate GMT, the time difference is that GMT is five hours ahead of Minnesota time during the summer.

Doug, N6NFF, poses a trivia question in the first half of the Wednesday evening session, so check in early if you want to take a guess. The answer to the trivia question is generally given shortly after the half-hour mark. A big THANK YOU to all of our net control stations.

Membership

·       You can pay your Handiham dues and certain other program fees on line. Simply follow the link to our secure payment site, then enter your information and submit the payment.

    • Handiham annual membership dues are $15.00. The lifetime membership rate is $150.00.  MEMBERSHIP DUES PAYMENT LINK
    • If you want to donate to the Handiham Program, please use our donation website. The instructions are at the following link:  DONATION LINK

·       As always, while our other services require that you have a current Handiham Program membership, you do not have to be a member to receive the Handiham World E-Letter.

How to contact us

There are several ways to contact us.

Postal Mail:

Courage Kenny Handiham Program
3915 Golden Valley Road MR 78446
Golden Valley, MN 55422

E-Mail: handiham@...

Preferred telephone: 1-612-775-2291

Note: Tuesdays through Thursdays between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM United States Central Time are the best times to contact us.

You may also call Handiham Program Coordinator Lucinda Moody, AB8WF, at: 612-775-2290.

73, and I hope to hear you on the air soon!

For Handiham World, this is Lucinda Moody, AB8WF

The weekly e-letter is a compilation of assistive technology, operating information, and Handiham Program news. It is published on Mondays, and is available to everyone free of charge. Please email handiham@... for changes of address, unsubscribes, etc. Include your old email address and your new address.